Assistant Professor in School of Journalism and Strategic Communication
About Josh Fisher
Dr. Joshua A. Fisher is an Assistant Professor at the Center for Emerging Media Design and Development at the School of Journalism and Strategic Communication. He is an immersive media scholar focusing on augmented, mixed, and virtual reality nonfiction. Dr. Fisher is a researcher and practitioner who designs, develops, and evaluates immersive media prototypes with and for communities. He has taught interactive media development, user experience design, immersive media practices, and digital media theory for seven years. Dr. Fisher has published over 24 peer-reviewed publications and proceedings.
Dr. Fisher previously taught at Columbia College Chicago, where he developed a top-ranked Immersive Media B.A. and M.A. program. His interactive and immersive media work has been written about in Fast Company, The Guardian, O, the Oprah Magazine,and Erudite. In addition, Dr. Fisher consults with public and private organizations and corporations on immersive media initiatives.He has developed immersive media experiences for the Arthur M. Blank Foundation, Atlanta United, Essence, USAA, and the Knight Foundation.
Dr. Fisher has been a professor at Ball State University since 2022. He is also on the board of the Association for Research in Digital Interactive Narratives. In addition, he has served as a guest editor for Frontiers of Virtual Reality
and Journalism and Media
. You can find his research profile here.
- Ph.D. in Digital Media, Georgia Institue of Technology, 2019
- M.A. in Writing and Publishing, DePaul University, 2015
- B.A. in English Studies, Illinois State University, 2009
Selected academic publications
- Fisher, J.A. (2022) Epistemic Rhetoric in Virtual Reality Factual Interactive Digital Narratives, Frontiers of Virtual Reality
- Fisher, J.A., Janice Samuels (2021) A Proposed Curriculum for an Introductory Course on Interactive Digital Narrative in Virtual Reality, International Conference on Interactive Digital Storytelling
- Fisher, J.A. (2021) Augmented and Mixed Reality for Communities, CRC Press
- Fisher, J.A., Jay Bolter (2018) Ethical Considerations for AR Experiences at Dark Tourism Sites, International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality
Honors and recognitions
In 2022, Dr. Fisher received Ball State University Marilyn Weaver Faculty Fellowship to support his teaching and work. His paper, A Proposed Curriculum for an Introductory Course on Interactive Digital Narratives in Virtual Reality, won the Best Paper Award at the International Conference of Interactive Digital Storytelling in 2021. In 2019, he won the James Dean Young Award for leadership on campus at the Georgia Institute of Technology.