Are you interested in our Master’s Degree in Athletic Training program? Then it’s time to apply!
Our program offers a rolling admission process where we review and interview applicants as they apply. Once an application is completed, it is reviewed by the admission committee. The admission committee will determine whether or not the applicant is invited to participate in a video interview. After the interview, the admission committee will convene and an admission decision will be communicated to the applicant within a week of the interview. The program will continue to review applications on a rolling admission basis until two weeks prior to the summer semester start or until the cohort is full.
Before You Begin...
If you are an international student – someone who has or plans to acquire a visa to study in the U.S. – our International Admissions staff will help you through the admissions process and your unique requirements.
If you are a current, admitted Ball State student but have not taken classes for more than a year or if you received a "Re-Admit" error when attempting to register for classes, you need to select the:
“Re-enroll (previous Ball State graduate students only)” option under “Academic Intent” in the application.
Do not choose the Re-enroll Applicant Type if you are any of the following:
- a first-time applicant to a Ball State graduate program
- applying for a new or different program or certificate than one in which you are already enrolled
- previously applied for a program but never attended any classes
1. Review admission requirements and prepare materials.
You must have earned a minimum of a 2.75 GPA from the undergraduate degree-granting institution.
Our program does not require you to take the GRE.
* Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, courses completed during the Spring 2020 semester ONLY with a credit/no credit or pass/fail designation may also be eligible as prerequisites upon approval of our admission committee.
Ball State offers undergraduate courses that meet our program’s prerequisite requirements. View the list.
The following prerequisite topic areas must be completed with a minimum grade of C or better and approved by our admissions committee:
- Human Anatomy (3 credits)
- Human Physiology with Lab (3 credits)
- Chemistry with Lab (3 credits)
- Biology with Lab (3 credits)
- Physics (3 credits)
- Exercise Physiology (3 credits)
- Psychology (3 credits)
- Nutrition (3 credits)
The course must include relationship of diet to health and disease, principles of nutrition, and life cycle nutrition, nutrition as an energy source and utilization of various nutrients.
- Statistics (3 credits)
The course must include descriptive statistics, correlations, and an introduction to inferential statistics.
- Biomechanics (3 credits)
If you cannot take a biomechanics-type course, you will need to take an additional physics course.
* The observation hours for the 2020-2021 application cycle has been waived due to the COVID-19 pandemic. If you have completed observation hours, please upload your verification to your application. If you have questions about clinical observation hours, please contact our office to discuss at 765-285-5178.
You need to have a minimum of 30 hours of athletic training observation that were:
- in at least two different clinical settings
- with two different BOC athletic trainers
- completed within 18 months prior to application
The observation hours log and verification form (PDF) must be completed and submitted at the time of application.
You will need to upload the following materials to your online application:
- resume or CV
- letter of intent – formal letter of application, including a personal statement
- references - list of three references who can speak to potential success as a healthcare professional; one must have supervised the applicant during the observation experience
2. Prepare your transcripts.
Ball State must receive transcripts for all applicants. Please review our instructions before you apply. (You do not need to submit Ball State transcripts in order to apply.)
Complete our online application.
Applications are $60 per program.
You can pay your application fee (nonrefundable) with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover. Or you may pay online with an electronic check from a U.S. bank.
You do not have to pay the application fee if you are a:
- McNair Scholar
- Ball State student currently enrolled in classes or alumni
- current Ball State employee (full-time, benefits-eligible)
- veteran or active-duty military
- guest student seeking credits to transfer to another institution
- prospective student who attended a Ball State graduate program information session
If you are in one of these categories, make sure to select the fee waiver option in the application. When selecting "I attended an informational session" option in the fee waiver section of the application, list the information session title and date.
After You Apply
Log in to your application status portal below to submit additional materials, check your application status, and confirm your enrollment.
Check Application Status
If you need additional assistance, please feel free to email our graduate admissions staff, who are here to help you through this process.