Are you interested in our Master’s Degree in Athletic Training program? Then it’s time to apply!
Please review our admission requirements, deadlines, and instructions below to prepare for your application.
Application Deadline and Fees
Your application and materials are due by 11:59 p.m. Eastern on the following dates:
- to start classes in Summer 2023 – April 30, 2023
Our program offers a rolling admission process where we review and interview applicants as they apply. Once an application is received, it is reviewed by the admissions committee. The admission committee will determine whether or not the applicant is invited to participate in a video interview. After the interview, the admission committee will convene and an admission decision will be communicated to the applicant within a week of the interview. The program will continue to review applications on a rolling admission basis until the cohort is full or until April 30.
International applicants must adhere to the requirements and deadlines outlined by International Admissions.
Note: Students who plan to study on a J1 visa status may not be eligible for this program. Please consult International Admissions for program eligibility.
Applications are $60 per program. You can pay your application fee (nonrefundable) with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover. Or you may pay online with an electronic check from a U.S. bank. (Note: electronic checks must be cleared prior to your application being complete. This process may take up to 10 days.)
Application Fee Waivers
Your application fee may be waived if you meet one of the criteria outlined below.
Do not pay the application fee if you are a:
- McNair Scholar;
- Ball State student currently enrolled in classes or alumni;
- current Ball State employee (full-time and benefits-eligible);
- veteran or active-duty military;
- guest student seeking credits to transfer to another institution;
- prospective student who attended a Ball State graduate program information session.
If you are in one of the categories above, make sure to select the fee waiver option when completing your online application. When selecting "I attended an informational session" option in the fee waiver section of the application, please provide the information session title and date you attended.
Before You Apply: Recommended Next Steps
Before you begin your application, we recommend you learn more about Ball State, review our admission process and requirements, and gather your required materials.
Step 1: Get to Know Ball State
Learn about Ball State, our Graduate School, and your program of interest.
Step 2: Review Our Admission Process
Some admission requirements differ between types of applicants. Be sure to follow the process that aligns with your current situation.
If you are a currently admitted Ball State undergraduate student with at least 75 credit hours and a 3.25 cumulative GPA, you may be eligible for the Accelerated Master’s Program (AMP).
AMP allows you to begin your graduate studies while still an undergraduate student! Start your graduate classes while completing your undergraduate degree where your courses double-count toward your bachelor’s and master’s degrees, saving time and money as you pursue your master's degree at Ball State.
Learn more about the Accelerated Master's Program
How to Apply for AMP
To apply for AMP, complete the Graduate School application for admission by following the requirements listed for your program of interest. You will need to select “Yes” when answering: “Are you a current Ball State University undergraduate student applying to the Accelerated Master's Program?” This will ensure your application is considered for AMP admission.
If you are an international student – someone who has or plans to acquire a visa to study in the U.S. – our International Admissions staff will help you through the admissions process and your unique requirements.
If you were previously enrolled at Ball State but have not taken classes for more than a year—or if you received a "Re-Admit" error when attempting to register for classes—you need to select the “Re-enroll (previous Ball State graduate students only)” option under “Academic Intent” in your application.
Do not choose the Re-enroll Applicant Type if you are any of the following:
- a first-time applicant to a Ball State graduate program;
- applying for a new or different program or certificate than one in which you are already enrolled; OR
- previously applied for a program but never attended any classes.
Applying to Summer 2023
The following requirements are for applicants applying to Summer 2023.
Step 3: Verify Your Admission Requirements
Make sure you meet the following requirements to apply to your program:
- You must have a bachelor's degree or higher from an institution recognized by a regional accrediting association.
- You must have earned a minimum of a 2.75 GPA from the undergraduate degree-granting institution.
Step 4: Gather Your Application Materials
In addition to your application, you will be requested to upload the following materials to your application portal:
- Resume or CV
- Letter of intent
- Provide a formal letter of application that includes a personal statement
- Three references
- Provide names and contact information for three references.
- Supplemental form
- You will need to complete the supplemental form as part of your online application. You can access supplemental form(s) within your Applicant Status Portal.
- Transcripts showing complete academic record. What is this?
Step 5: Review Department-specific Information
In addition to your online application and the materials above, the School of Kinesiology requires the following:
Courses Completed in Spring 2020
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, courses completed during the Spring 2020 semester ONLY with a credit/no credit or pass/fail designation may also be eligible as prerequisites.
Ball State's Courses
Ball State offers undergraduate courses that meet our program's prerequisite requirements. View the list.
The following prerequisite topic areas must be completed with a minimum grade of C or better and approved by our admissions committee:
- Human Anatomy (3 credits)
- Human Physiology with Lab (3 credits)
- Chemistry with Lab (3 credits)
- Biology with Lab (3 credits)
- Physics (3 credits)
- Exercise Physiology (3 credits)
- Psychology (3 credits)
- Nutrition (3 credits)
- The course must include relationship of diet to health and disease, principles of nutrition, life cycle nutrition, nutrition as an energy source, and utilization of various nutrients.
- Statistics (3 credits)
- The course must include descriptive statistics, correlations, and an introduction to inferential statistics.
- Biomechanics (3 credits)
- If you cannot take a biomechanics-type course, you will need to take an additional physics course.
Ready to Apply?
Applying to Ball State is easy, safe, and is a completely online process. You’ll need to complete the online application for graduate admission and then upload any required application materials to your applicant portal.
You will receive an email message after you submit your application with instructions on how to access your applicant portal. The portal will provide further instructions on how to upload your required application materials and submit your full application for review. You will also be able to check your application status and confirm your enrollment via the Decision Reply Form from the portal.
Log In to Your Applicant Portal
We recognize that your graduate education is an important investment for your future. If you have any questions, please reach out to Graduate Admissions for assistance. We are here to help!