Mathematics provides the foundation for many of the science, business, and professional courses you will take during your college years. Ball State requires students enrolling in any mathematics course other than MATH 108 or MATH 125 to meet prerequisite criteria. You may meet these prerequisites with prior collegiate mathematics coursework, an SAT/ACT mathematics score, or an ALEKS mathematics placement assessment score.
All incoming students should complete the ALEKS assessment, as it is the most accurate predictor of your readiness to succeed in your entry-level mathematics course. Retesting is available: If you don’t achieve your desired placement score, you should retest.
ALEKS is a computer based, adaptive system that covers material from basic mathematics through pre-calculus and will take approximately 90 minutes to complete. After the assessment, a targeted prep and learning module is available to you for six months to review and learn material so you may retest and potentially improve your placement results.
All students are strongly encouraged to spend several hours using the ALEKS Prep and Learning Module. Even if you have achieved placement in your desired course, time spent in ALEKS will better prepare you for your upcoming course and ultimately lead to better grades.
Your results are reported to you immediately after the exam so you know what classes will be available to you during registration at you Orientation session. Your score will be available to your advisor in approximately one business day and is valid for one year.
For more information on placement procedures and preparation for the exam, please visit bsu.edu/math/placement.
To access and complete the ALEKS Placement Assessment:
1. Go to my.bsu.edu.
2. Log in with your Ball State username and password.
3. Under “Additional Tools,” select “ALEKS.”
4. Select the ALEKS user agreement. You will see a screen that shows your Ball State and ALEKS accounts together. Select “Continue.”
5. You will see an indication that you are enrolled in:
- Class: 2018 Orientation, All Year 2018
- School: Ball State University
6. Select “Continue” to your ALEKS class, and you will be at the beginning of the assessment. A brief survey and tutorial on how to enter your responses will precede the actual assessment.
For more information, please contact:
Department of Mathematical Sciences
Ball State University