Parents serving on the Parents Advisory Council assist the university in many ways. Fostering communication between the University and parents of all Ball State students is the group’s number one goal.
Members meet twice a year and also:
- advise university administrators on issues of concern and interest to parents
- identify and cultivate support for the university
- help raise money for the Parents Fund and make recommendations for allocating money from the fund to one or more of the following programs:
- The Jack Beyerl Student Emergency Aid Fund, which provides financial assistance to Ball State student who experience accidents, illnesses, financial hardships, or other emergency situations that jeopardize their education
- Late Nite, a popular weekend activities program that offers students safe and alcohol-free entertainment and ways to spend their free time away from their studies
- University scholarships, which are offered to students who have not received other private scholarships but who have demonstrated leadership abilities
Each year, the Parents Advisory Council awards scholarships to recognize students for past leadership contributions and future potential as a leader.
The Office of Student Life sends postcards inviting students to apply. Applications are completed in the Spring—usually March.
Students must have at least a 3.0 grade point average and not be a recipient of a Presidential, Whitinger, or Emens scholarship.
A committee selects the scholarship recipients by mid-April.
How to Join
Each Summer, we send information about the Parents Advisory Council to parents of sophomores in good academic standing, and we invite them to apply to become a member of the council.
In selecting council members, we work to balance many factors, including students’ hometowns and academic majors and the parents’ willingness to participate in regular meetings and other activities. We also strive to include families with diverse interests and backgrounds.
Parent Advisory Council Members
New Castle, IN
Kristen and Tom Grayson
Tipp City, OH
Andrea and Tom Hubler
Fort Wayne, IN
Leigh and Chris Powell
Franklin and Dayna Reed
Christian and Anna Renner
Daysha and Phillip SanchezJoseph Smedley, Ph.D.
Natasha Tunstall-Smith and Marvin Smith
Jeffrey and Laurie Wilmes
To learn more about the council, please email us.