Ball State requires all students, regardless of disability, to fulfill the physical education requirement.

The physical education faculty and staff work closely with students to plan physical education classes appropriate for their levels of ability.

For more information, contact the School of Kinesiology.

If you need assistance converting class materials to an alternative format or need a copy of a textbook in an accessible format, help is available in the Adaptive Computer Technology (ACT) lab in Robert Bell Building (RB), room 168.

The lab is specifically designed for users with disabilities and is part of Unified Technology Support.

Lab attendants are available to help students learn any of the computer technologies available in the lab. The lab has many different types of technology for use by students with disabilities including speech-to-text programs, text-to-speech programs, screen magnification, textbook scanning/accessible electronic textbooks, Braille transcription, and tactile graphics.

These tables are provided for those who cannot use the conventional seating in a classroom because of a wheelchair or other mobility impairment.

Arrangements to have these tables put in the classroom should be made as soon as the schedule is completed.

Contact our office with both:

  • a list of classrooms for which you will need tables
  • the height (in inches from the floor) to which you would like the table adjusted

Disability Services partners with the Office of Housing and Residence Life to ensure that students with disabilities receive proper accommodations in Ball State housing.

To ensure that you are considered for possible housing accommodations for the coming year, make any housing-related requests to Disability Services by May 1.

This request should include:

  • a written statement from you describing the request
  • medical documentation from an appropriately licensed professional who has recently seen and treated you

The medical documentation needs to be current and provide information about the nature of the student’s disability and describe specifically why the housing accommodation is a necessity and not just a preference.

Requests received after May 1 will be considered if space is available.

Manual wheelchairs are available for loan on a short-term basis.

Contact our office for more information.

Our office can help recruit or refer notetakers for you if you need this service.

Notetakers are hired from within the class for which you need notes provided in an accessible format.

Supervision of notetakers is the primary responsibility of the student. Please notify our office if you are experiencing problems with your notetakers and we can assist you.

Request Notetaking Services

You may request notetaking services by contacting our staff. We ask for ample lead time to ensure we are able to find someone to help provide this service.

Ball State University offers the following help to students with disabilities in the areas of parking and transportation. Further information can be found at the Parking Services.

Permits may be given to students with disabilities who cannot get to their classes or work site without specialized parking opportunities. Spaces are limited, so please consider your needs carefully when applying for these permits.

Disability Parking Permits allow the holder to park in red, green, and yellow lots with designated accessible parking spaces (signs with international access symbol) as well as in whichever parking zones your permit allows. You should apply for a disabled parking placard or a disabled registration plate from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Take the certification that comes with the placard (to verify that it was indeed issued to you) or the license plate registration, along with your Ball State Identification Card to the Ball State Office of Parking Services for the issuance of a Ball State Disabled Parking Permit.

Temporary passes can be made available to students who have valid Ball State Parking permits and documentation of a temporary medical condition. This permit is issued for a period of time not to exceed one semester. It enables a person with a temporary mobility impairment to park in any disability designated parking space. The Health CenterParking Services, or Disability Services may approve the issuance of this permit.

Students registered with our office can receive priority class scheduling. This means students with disabilities will be able to begin registering for courses before other students.

Priority registration does not supersede considerations such as prerequisites or courses that need departmental permission for registration.

Push sticks are available in our office for those who need them.

Students with limited mobility sometimes use these to push elevator buttons or door openers.

Ball State recognizes the value and need of service animals to assist some students with disabilities.

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) defines service animals as:

"any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not service animals for the purposes of this definition. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the handler´s disability. Examples of work or tasks include, but are not limited to, assisting individuals who are blind or have low vision with navigation and other tasks, alerting individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing to the presence of people or sounds, providing non-violent protection or rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, assisting an individual during a seizure, alerting individuals to the presence of allergens, retrieving items such as medicine or the telephone, providing physical support and assistance with balance and stability to individuals with mobility disabilities, and helping persons with psychiatric and neurological disabilities by preventing or interrupting impulsive or destructive behaviors. The crime deterrent effects of an animal´s presence and the provision of emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship do not constitute work or tasks for the purposes of this definition."

Ball State reserves the right to ask that the animal undergo additional training or be removed if it does not fit this description or if it has become disruptive. For example, a properly trained service animal will remain at its owner's feet. It does not run freely around, bark or growl repeatedly at other persons or animals, bite or jump on people, or urinate or defecate inside buildings. An animal that engages in such disruptive behavior shows that it has not been successfully trained to function as a service animal in public settings. 

The good health of the animal is the responsibility of the owner. If the animal is in ill health (bowel/bladder control problems, fleas, etc.), the owner may be asked to remove it from the University.

Emotional Support Animals

Please note that emotional support animals (ESAs) are not service animals and thus not permitted on campus.

Per the Fair Housing Act, ESAs may be permitted in University Housing if the student has a documented disability and there is a nexus or relationship between the disability and the assistance the animals provides.

For more information about the policies and procedures to request an ESA in Housing, please contact Disability Services.

Campus shuttle buses operate daily during the academic school year (mid-August to early May) and are available free-of-charge to students, faculty, staff, and visitors.

The shuttles run:

  • Sunday – every 10-15 minutes from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.
  • Monday through Thursday – every 5-10 minutes 7:15 a.m. to 11 p.m.
  • Friday – every 5-10 minutes from 7:15 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Accessible Shuttle for Students with Disabilities

A lift-equipped campus shuttle, called the Demand Response Bus, runs at the following times during the regular academic year for those with mobility impairments.

  • Monday-Thursday – 7:15 a.m.-11 p.m.
  • Friday – 7:15 a.m.-8 p.m.

Call the Transportation Office at 765-285-9045 to request a pick-up and to designate a location. The shuttle does not go off campus.

Please call at least one hour prior to the desired pick-up time and please be patient, particularly in times of heavy use and inclement weather.

Our office establishes the eligibility list for this service.

During the winter months, routes used by students with disabilities are given first priority for snow removal.

If you find inaccessible areas, report them to Work Control (765-285-5081 or by email for immediate attention.

Minor repairs such as fixing a flat tire or changing batteries and/or belts can be done through the Physical Plant by calling 765-285-5815.

No structural welding or repair of electronic systems will be done.

Brand Sheet Metal of Muncie (765-284-5594) will do welding. The company will also pick up and deliver the wheelchair.

Grainger Industrial Supply of Muncie (765-741-8100) sells battery chargers.

For major repairs, contact one of the following:

Access Mobility, Inc.
317-784-2255 or 800-336-1147

McCrocklin Ford & Mobility

In addition to wheelchair repairs, McCrocklin Ford also sells and rents accessible vans.

National Seating & Mobility
Visit website.

Visit website.

For More Information

If you have questions or need additional assistance from our office, please call or email us.

Contact Us