The 53 graduating seniors of Burris Laboratory School’s Class of 2020 will be honored Friday with a drive-by celebration on the Quad at Ball State University.
Seniors will line up at 6:15 p.m. on Campus Drive behind the Frank A. Bracken Administration Building, also known as the Ad Building, located at the corner of McKinley and University. Students will stand in alphabetical order 6-10 feet apart in front of their own yard sign. Seniors will be in their cap and gown after receiving a diploma and diploma cover.
Beginning at 6 p.m. families and friends in vehicles may enter the Campus Drive from McKinley Avenue. The procession begins at 6:30 p.m. All participants should remain in their vehicles during the event.
“The Class of 2020 will be remembered for their accomplishments and how they came together as a close-knit family as the nation battled COVID-19,” Burris Principal Dawn Miller said. “This is our way of honoring our graduates safely while still providing them with the in-person recognition that they deserve.”
Facts about members of the Class of 2020:
- Students will attend 20 different colleges with 35 percent enrolled for Fall semester at Ball State.
- Seniors will receive about $1.1 million in scholarships over the next four years.
- Most popular college majors are pre-med, education, computer science, pre-law, business, engineering, and science.
- Twenty-eight seniors participated in athletics and won conference championships in a variety of sports, including soccer, volleyball, cross country, tennis, swimming and diving, track and field, golf, soccer, and tennis.
- Twenty students received academic all-conference honors.
Parking for students is available in the G15 Yellow Lot and the Pittenger Student Center on University Avenue. Participants will be escorted to their place on Campus Drive by an administrator and will be asked to remain there until the conclusion.
Campus Drive will be closed starting at 4:30 p.m. Friday for the event. The University asks that all parked vehicles be moved prior to 4:30 p.m. to allow for a safe, successful celebration.
In case of inclement weather, the event will be rescheduled for a later date.