October 5, 2018
Teams push students through a 100-yard course during Bed Race, one of Ball State's favorite Homecoming Week traditions.
Help commemorate Ball State University’s Centennial year during “The Celebration of the Century” Homecoming Week, October 14-20.
Festivities culminate at 3 p.m. October 20 when the Cardinals take on Mid-American Conference rival the Eastern Michigan University Eagles in Scheumann Stadium.
This year’s schedule includes beloved traditions plus new events such as a flag football tournament, “Mini College” discussion panels, and a Chase Charlie 5K run, according to Michelle Johnson, senior director of alumni engagement, homecoming, athletics, and reunions.
“Alumni can return to the vibrant campus they love to reconnect with classmates, roommates, and other Ball State fans,” Johnson said. “Students can enjoy a week full of spirited events, and the Muncie community can celebrate having such a wonderful institution in its backyard.”
The homecoming week schedule is:
Sunday through Thursday, October 14-18
- A flag football tournament on West Campus Field will begin at 11 a.m. October 14.
- The Food Truck Festival in The Village with a DJ, food vendors, and activities will run from 6-8 p.m. October 15.
- The Annual Student Scholarship Talent Search will begin at 7:30 p.m. October 16 in Emens Auditorium. Each category winner will receive a $500 scholarship with an additional $500 scholarship to the overall winner courtesy of the Ball State Alumni Association.
- A homecoming-themed dining experience for students, complete with a special menu and giveaway, will begin at 5:30 p.m. October 17 in Woodworth dining hall. Attendees will receive a gift, while supplies last.
- Air Jam, homecoming's most popular event, will begin at 7:30 p.m. October 18 in Emens Auditorium, where various student organizations participate in a lip-sync competition. Tickets are $15 at Emens Box Office, starting October 8.
- The Croce Plays Croce Concert begins at 7:30 p.m. October 19 in Pruis Hall.
Friday, October 19
- The All-Alumni and Friends Golf Outing will start at 11 a.m. at The Players Club at Woodland Trails in Yorktown.
- The 39th annual Bed Race will commence at noon on Riverside Avenue. One student bravely rides on the bed while four others push through a 100-yard course. The Bed Race awards both fastest time and best costume.
- “Mini College: Connect, Learn & Have Fun!” will start at 2 p.m. in the Student Center with interactive sessions for alumni about health and freedom of speech.
- Homecoming is partnering with University Program Board (UPB) for a special Friday Night Filmworks at 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom.
Saturday, October 20
- The Chase Charlie 5K will start at 9:15 a.m., taking participants through downtown Muncie and Ball State's campus.
- The homecoming parade will start at 9:30 a.m. Alumni are invited to a Parade Viewing Party at the corner of University and McKinley Avenues with complimentary breakfast refreshments and fun door prizes.
- Head to Scheumann Stadium at 1 p.m. to tailgate with CharlieTown on the Alumni Center’s front patio.
- Kickoff at 3 p.m. Tickets can be purchased through ballstatesports.com or by calling 765-285-1474.
The student Homecoming Steering Committee planned the week’s events under the direction of alumni association advisers. For more information, visit bsu.edu/homecoming or contact the homecoming office at 765-285-1083 or firstname.lastname@example.org.