Assistant Professor of Political Science
Internship Coordinator / Public Administration / American Politics
About Sean Hildebrand
Dr. Hildebrand joined the Political Science department in the Fall of 2015. His teaching and research interests are in the fields of Public Administration and American politics and policy. Specifically, his research examines emergency management and homeland security policy implementation at the state and local level. Dr. Hildebrand taught a wide array of undergraduate courses over the years, but here at Ball State, he has taught American Government (POLS 130), State & Local Politics (POLS 237), and Public Administration (POLS 350) at the undergraduate level.
For the M.P.A. program Dr. Hildebrand has taught Foundations of Public Administration (POLS 650), Policy Analysis (POLS 648), Managing Human Resources (POLS 652), Public Financial Management (POLS 653), and Terrorism & Disaster Policy (POLS 694). Dr. Hildebrand also leads courses in the Certified Public Management (CPM) program sponsored by the Bowen Center for Public Affairs. He also serves as the graduate and undergraduate Internship Coordinator for the Political Science Department.
When not doing all of this you’ll find Dr. Hildebrand playing golf or watching other sports, going to concerts/shows, playing with his cats, or exploring new places and restaurants.
- University of Tennessee: Lecturer, Department of Political Science, (2010-2012)
- North Central College: Visiting Lecturer, Department of Political Science and Sociology, (2009-2010)
- Western Michigan University: Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science. (2008-2009)
- Western Carolina University: Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science and Public Affairs, (2007-2008)
- University of South Carolina: Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science and Public Administration, (2006-2007)
- Ph.D. Public Administration, North Carolina State University
- M.P.A. Master's of Public Administration, University of Delaware
- B.A. Political Science, University of Delaware
Research and Publications
- Hildebrand, Sean, 2017. Controlling Disasters: Local Emergency Management Perceptions About Federal Emergency Management and Homeland Security Actions Since September 11, 2001.Journal of Emergency Management. Vol. 15 No. 5, September/October 2017, pp. 291-309. Available online at: http://www.wmpllc.org/ojs-2.4.2/index.php/jem/article/view/753
- Hildebrand, Sean and James H. Svara, Cooperation or Conflict? Intergovernmental Relations and Federalism in North Carolina. In The New Politics of North Carolina. Edited by Chris Cooper and Gibbs Knotts. 2008, UNC Press.
- Hildebrand, Sean, 2006. Budgeting Strategies in Public Policy Formation. Public Performance and Management Review. Vol. 30 No. 1, September 2006, pp. 127-130.
- Hildebrand, Sean, 2004. The Nature of Public Administration in the New Millennium. Public Performance and Management Review. Vol. 27 No. 4, June 2004, pp. 186-189.