While there are no specific courses that you must take in high school, observational drawing is an important part of the portfolio. We recommend you take courses in drawing and other areas of art.
BFA Degree Applicants – What We Review
- academic record – a review of high school transcripts
- test scores – SAT and/or ACT
- portfolio – 10-15 original works demonstrating studio art skills and other art-related abilities
- inventory sheet – a list of submitted work, indicating title, course, media, size, and date or term completed
- BA or BS degree applicants are not required to submit portfolios unless applying for scholarships
We will review the transcript you submit to Ball State’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions for your university application.
The School of Art is no longer accepting portfolio's for the 2017-18 academic year. If you are a first-time freshman, please refer to criteria for current students.
Submit Your Materials
All students admitted to the School of Art also must complete a common first-year program of study comprised of required courses in drawing, design, computer art, and art history.
Applicants not admitted to the School of Art may still enroll at Ball State, declare a major in Studio Art (BA degree), and reapply after completing the first-year foundation courses.