You can expect to build relationships with your faculty and student partners. You will communicate with each other, share experiences together, and learn from each other as you work towards your agreed-upon project goals.
At the beginning of your immersive learning partnership, you will establish your objectives through a letter of support/Memo of Understanding (MOU), which outlines what you expect to get from being an immersive learning partner and what your organization will bring to the partnership. An example of this might be the time you and other organization members will spend meeting with students, sharing your expertise, access to space at your facility, and working with your board or clients.
When planning your immersive learning project work, be mindful of the semester time frame and that you are working with a capable immersive learning team of students learning from you as a partner and co-teacher as you collaborate.
Immersive learning courses typically last for one or two semesters. However, many immersive learning courses run every semester or every fall or every spring semester.
Below is a sketch of the typical flow of the fall and spring semesters at Ball State University. Visit the academic calendar for specific dates for each year. This calendar sketch will help you consider how the Ball State semester runs. You will know the semester flow when you discuss specific details with your immersive learning partners and your organizational flow when scheduling various meetings.
Typical Fall Semester (August - December)
August – BSU classes for the Fall semester begin (4th week of August)
- Monday, Labor Day – no classes (1st week of September)
- Fall Break – no classes on Monday or Tuesday (2nd week of October)
- Thanksgiving Recess – no classes (4th week of November)
- Monday after Thanksgiving – classes resume
- Last meeting day for regular classes (1st week of December)
- Final Examination Period – Tuesday - Friday (2nd week of December)
- Friday Fall Semester ends (2nd week of December)
- December Commencement – Saturday after the last day of the semester
- Semester break (December Commencement to 2nd week of January)
Typical Spring Semester (January - May)
January – BSU classes for classes for the Spring Semester begin (2nd week of January)
- Monday, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Celebration – no classes (3rd week of January)
- Spring Break – no classes (1st week of March, Sunday to Sunday)
- Monday after Spring Break – classes resume.
- Last meeting day for regular classes (last Monday of April)
- Final Examination Period (Last week of April – 1st week of May)
- May Commencement – Saturday after the last day of the semester.
Contact the Immersive Learning office so we can help at firstname.lastname@example.org or use this form.