PPA Nominations & Elections Committee
From Ball State University Libraries Wiki
- Conduct elections for standing committees and for University Libraries’ representatives to the University Senate and other such groups
- Determine eligibility requirements for election to each office according to the BSU Faculty and Professional Personnel Handbook, the Descriptive Guide to Professional Personnel Association Activities, and bylaws of the individual committees
- Provide timely information to Association members on what offices are vacated and provide members an opportunity to nominate themselves and others in writing prior to elections
- Conduct other balloted voting as needed
Terms of Service
- Three members each server three-year terms, staggered such that a new member may be elected to the committee each year
- Committee members may be re-elected
- Terms begin July 1 each year
- Brandon Pieczko
- Term ending 2018
- Carol Nelson
- Term ending 2019
- Jim Hammons
- Term ending 2020
- Amanda Hurford, 2014-2017
- Jeremy Barney, 2013-2016
- Lisa Jarrell, 2012-2015
- Michael Szajewski, 2011-2014
- Katharine Leigh, 2010-2013
- Sue Weiland, 2009-2012
- Michael Twigg, 2008-2011
- Carol Nelson, 2007-2010
- Stacy Chaney-Blankenship, 2006-2009
- Jonathan Brinley, 2005-2008
- Jim Hammons, 2005-2006
- Tom Arendall-Salvetti, 2003-2006
- Brenda Yates Habich, 2004-2005
- Carol Nelson, 2001-2007
The Nominations and Elections Committee ('Committee') of the University Libraries Professional Personnel Association ('Association') will:
- Conduct elections for Association officers and standing committees;
- Determine eligibility requirements for election to each office according to the BSU Faculty and Professional Personnel Handbook, the Descriptive Guide to Professional Personnel Association Activities, and bylaws of the individual committees;
- Provide timely information to Association members on what offices are vacated and provide members an opportunity to nominate themselves and others in writing prior to elections;
- Conduct balloted voting as needed.
- The Association elects three members to serve on the committee;
- Committee members are elected for three-year terms. Terms will be staggered so that a new member will be elected to the committee each year;
- Committee members may be re-elected;
- The Association President serves as a voting member in ex officio capacity on this committee;
- The committee selects its own officers.
- At least two weeks before any forthcoming committee election, the Committee chairman will give electronic or written notice of such election to the members of the Association.
- The notice will indicate the vacancies and the date of the election and will provide the opportunity for nominations for the positions prior to the date of the election.
- Members will be encouraged to volunteer for available positions. Nominations of other members may also be made. Nominations should have the prior consent of the nominee.
- A deadline will be established by which time written nominations must be made and returned to the committee.
- The Committee will then compile a list of nominees for each vacancy and will distribute it to the departmental members prior to the election.
- The Committee will submit the election as an agenda item to the Association secretary at least one week before the designated Association meeting.
- Additional nominations may be made from the floor at the time of the election. Prior consent from the nominee is required.
- The Committee will conduct and complete elections by written ballot, and will tabulate and announce the results during the departmental meeting.
- When more than two persons are nominated for one position, elections will be by majority vote, rather than by plurality.
- If no candidate received a majority of the votes, there will be a run-off ballot between the two candidates receiving the largest number of votes.
- In the event of a tie, the winner will be determined by coin toss.
- To conduct the annual spring elections, the Committee will do the following:
- The Committee chair will call a Committee meeting by the first week of February to prepare two lists: 1) a list of the upcoming committee vacancies and 2) an updated list of professional personnel who are eligible for nomination, as well as to note which personnel are ineligible for each vacancy.
- The Committee will take into account any new or deleted committees as well as recent changes in the membership requirements of each committee.
- The Committee will distribute the two lists to all Association members and invite them to nominate themselves or other eligible personnel for the vacant positions.
- The elections will then be conducted in accordance with paragraphs 1 through 5 above.
- Approved October 1, 2008.