Building off the already nationally recognized Excellence in Leadership program, the Office of Student Life in partnership with the Department of Educational Studies has created an academic minor in leadership studies. In order to obtain the Leadership Studies Minor, students must complete at least 18 credit hours in the below areas.
Steps for adding the minor:
- Interested students should meet with their academic advisor to discuss their graduation plan and review if the 18 credit-hour minor will work for the student to be able to graduate on time.
- Complete the Leadership Studies Minor application (see below).
- Once the application has been received, the student will receive an email within 2 business days to set up a 30 minute meeting with the leadership minor program advisor.
- Prior to this meeting, the student should review the available courses (see below) and determine which classes they are interested in taking.
- During the 30 minute meeting, students will complete a course plan for the 18 credit-hour minor. Students will also receive a letter that they must share with their academic advisor for the minor to be officially added.
Interested? Apply here.
Core Courses (6 hours)
The following two courses are required for all Leadership Studies Minors:
- EDHI 302 - Foundations of Leadership (3 hours-Annual Fall offering)
- EDHI 402 - Global Leadership (3 hours-Annual Spring offering)
Core Electives (3 to 6 hours)
- EDHI 102 - Intro to Students as Leaders: Excellence in Leadership (1-2 hours)
- EDHI 200 - Introduction to Personnel Services in Residence Halls (1 hours)
- EDHI 202 - Students as Group Leaders: Excellence in Leadership (1 -2 hours)
- EDHI 401 - Specific Topics In Leadership: Greek Emerging Leaders, Ireland or London Study Abroad, Greek Presidents, Multicultural Leadership, Civically Engaged Leadership (variable credits)
General Electives (6 to 9 hours)
- COMM 240 - Introduction to Human Communications (3 hours)
- COMM 330 - Small Group Decision Making (3 hours)
- COMM 340 - Communication Leadership (3 hours)
- POLS 130- American National Government (3 hours)
- POLS 411 - American Political Thought (3 hours)
- POLS 474 - Women and Politics (3 hours)
- SOC 242 -Social Problems (3 hours)
- SOC 320- Social Inequality (3 hours)
- SOC 441- Social Change (3 hours)
- PHIL 102 - Introduction to Techniques of Critical Reasoning (3 hours)
- PHIL 202 - Ethics (3 hours)
- EDMU 206- Advanced Study of Ethnic and Multicultural Group Behavior (3 hours)
- EDMU 302- Self and Social Construction of ID (3 hours)
- EDMU 370- Repres & Multicul: Thry & Prac (3 hours)
- EDMU 400- Tom Sem in Multicul Stds (3 hours)
- MIL 101- Introduction to Military Science (1 hour)
- MIL 102- Introduction to Leadership (1 hours)