We encourage you to contact the police if you have experienced sexual assault, dating violence, or stalking. If you know someone who has faced one of these issues but is reluctant to report it, consider helping with this step. Remember, these options are available even if the assault occurred off campus, and apply to students of any gender, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation.

The university’s priority is to help victims. If you know of a sexual assault that happened when underage drinking or illicit drugs were present, you can report the incident without facing discipline for anything that might have violated drug or alcohol policies. This is amnesty.

A victim advocate can help you through many of these steps, and everything will remain confidential if you choose.

You can pursue criminal charges by filing a report with the police (not confidential). You also may seek other types of university support and action.

Contact the victim advocate or police immediately after a sexual assault.

  • victim advocate: 765-285-7844
  • emergency dispatch: 911
  • University Police Department: 765-285-1111

Seek medical attention within 96 hours to have a sexual assault examination, which is a critical way to collect evidence.

Try to write down everything you remember from the incident, with as many details as possible.

Confidential Reporting

Your report can remain confidential depending on whom you report a sexual assault to.

Confidential resources include:

  • Office of Victim Services 
  • Counseling Center
  • Amelia T. Wood Health Center
  • IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital

Nonconfidential resources include:

  • University Police Department
  • Title IX coordinator
  • Housing and Residence Life staff
  • faculty members

University Actions

University police will share reports of sexual assault, harassment, intimate partner/dating violence, or stalking with the Title IX coordinator, who reviews the information and initiates a prompt response.

Even if you don’t report the incident to police, you can still alert the university Title IX coordinator and seek information, support, and action. There is no time limit on reporting assaults to the university.

The Title IX coordinator will help you identify your options, explain university procedures, and offer many forms of help and support. The incident can be investigated, following a process outlined in the university’s Sexual Harassment and Misconduct Policy. An investigation by the police does not relieve the university of its obligation to respond to the complaint.

What to Do Next

We will help you through your long-term recovery, both physically and emotionally, if you’ve experience sexual assault, relationship violence, or stalking.

Or if you know someone who is going through this, there are ways you can help.