Often, students tell their professors or staff members when they are experiencing problems or are in trouble. The information on this site will provide you with options to help students who may be struggling with either physical or mental health issues. Faculty and staff have very important roles in the lives of Ball State students. In addition to providing academic learning to students, you also mentor them, encourage them, and inspire them. Faculty and staff can also be one of the first ones to realize when something is not going right in a student’s life. Perhaps a student suddenly quits going to classes, or dozes off during a lecture, performs much worse on tests and quizzes, or appears more irritable during classroom discussion. While changes of this nature can signal many things, it may also indicate that the student is struggling with an emotional problem and needs help.

Of interest . . .
The Chronicle of Higher Education recently published an article titled “Are You Being Rigorous or Just Intolerant?  How to promote mental health in the college classroom" focusing on student mental health in the learning environment.

This page is designed to provide you with information about signs and signals of distress, tips on how to deal with distressed students, the resources that are available, and a description of common mental health issues students may experience.

If a student is in need of an accommodation due to a psychological disorder, contact Disability Services at 765-285-5293 to learn about appropriate accommodations that may be recommended.

Why contact the Counseling Center?
Although not all inclusive, the following questions may point out a few instances and reasons for faculty and staff to consult with staff in the Counseling Center:

  • Are you concerned about a student's mental health?
  • Have you found a particular student to be intimidating? 
  • Do you encounter student opposition and disruption in the classroom? 
  • Are other students intimidated by another student's behavior? 
  • Have you ever been concerned that a student might hurt him/herself or someone else? 
  • Have you been or are you concerned about student aggression?

If you have questions about our services and/or you want to consult with us about a student, please contact us at 765-285-1736.  If it is after university business hours and a student is an imminent risk to hurt themselves or others, call 911 or contact University Police at 765-285-1111 immediately.