Degree requirements are those in effect on the date of a student’s first registration for credit after admission. Students may, however, choose to complete a particular major, minor, or two-year program under the requirements of the most recent catalog. Students who change a major, minor, or two-year program must meet the requirements of the new program as stated in the catalog current when the change is made.

There is no specific time limit for the completion of undergraduate degrees, but the university reserves the right to review course work that is more than seven years old. Furthermore, the university is neither obligated nor committed to continue courses or programs so that students can take more than the normal four or five years to complete bachelor’s degrees or more than two years to complete associate degrees.

Class standing and grade-point averages at Ball State University are determined at the close of the term on the basis of semester credits. Generally, one hour of class time a week equals one credit. For example, most classes at Ball State carry 3 credits, and they meet for approximately three hours each week.

Undergraduate students are designated as freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors during their academic careers at Ball State. Students who have earned fewer than 30 semester credits are freshmen. Students who have earned 30 credits or more but fewer than 60 credits are sophomores. Students who have earned 60 credits or more but fewer than 90 credits are juniors. Students who have earned 90 credits or more are seniors.

The normal course load in a semester is 12 to 18 credits. (During a semester, 9 to 11 credits is considered a three-quarter-time load; 6 to 8 credits is considered a half-time load.) A total of twelve credits in a semester is considered a full course load for undergraduate students. Freshmen are not eligible to register for more than 18 credits unless they have met the following conditions:

  1. They have earned previous residence credit at Ball State University. 
  2. They have cumulative grade-point averages of at least 3.0. 
  3. They have successfully completed all of their scheduled courses in the preceding semester or term.

Students who are on academic probation may not register for more than 18 credits in a semester term.

The university reports and records grades using the plus/minus letter system. Quality points are allocated to each recorded grade according to the following scale:






Programs requiring C or better grades will not accept a C- grade (unless specified otherwise). A student’s grade-point average (GPA) is calculated by dividing the total number of quality points by the total number of GPA credits. 

A grade of F is recorded when a student fails a course or withdraws from a course after the withdrawal period unless, in the judgment of the dean of the instructor’s college, the reasons for withdrawing from a course warrant a W
    FN (Non-attendance) represents a failing grade awarded to the student who did not attend a course (no completed assignments, no exams, no instructor interaction or other documented engagement in an academically-related activity in the course).        
    FS (Stopped attendance) represents a failing grade awarded to a student who did not officially withdraw but failed to complete a course (i.e., did not take a final exam, stopped attending, etc.) and failed to achieve the course objectives. Instructors will be required to enter the last date of academic engagement for the student receiving a grade of FS.                
    A failing grade (F, FN, or FS) is recorded when a student withdraws from a course after the published withdrawal deadline for the semester or term unless, in the judgement of the instructor of college dean, the reasons for withdrawing from the course are such that the student should have a W.
    CR is recorded for students registered under credit/no credit provisions who do work that is 2.0 or above. 
    NC is recorded for students registered under credit/no credit provisions who do work that is below 2.0. 
     I represents incomplete work and is given only when it is determined that the student should be given an opportunity to finish the work. The instructor, along with the department chairperson, decides whether to award an incomplete grade in a course and outlines the requirements and time limit for completing the work. It is most important that the conditions for removing the I be as specific as possible. Removal of an I grade should be limited to as short a period as possible. CR/NC enrollments will expire to become a failing grade as defined by the grading method. All other enrollments expire to an F grade. Unless an earlier completion data is specified by the instructor, an I grade awarded for an undergraduate course will expire as follows: for Fall enrollment, by May 1; for Spring and/or Summer enrollment, by December 1. An exception is made when an extension on the timeline has been recommended by a department chairperson and approved by the appropriate dean. The Registrar’s Office will send an email reminder to the student and to the instructor of an I grade on the student record on or about the 15th of every month.
    NR represents a grade not properly reported by an instructor. The instructor must assign a grade by the fifth week of the next term. If an NR grade is not removed by the fifth week of the following (academic year) term, the Registrar’s Office will change the grade to F or to NC if it is a credit or no credit course. 
    W represents an official withdrawal from a course.

Students who want to take courses without credit to apply toward a degree (auditors) sign waivers for the specific courses. Students must make audit adjustments prior to the end of the add/drop period for the term of enrollment. Students earn no academic credit for auditing classes. Such classes are represented by the entry AU on the student’s transcript

At the close of each semester or term, students may access grades at Any correction in a grade already reported must be made by the instructor and approved by the department chairperson and the dean of the instructor’s college before it is filed in the Registrar’s Office. Any such change must be completed within one year of the close of the session for which the grade was due. 

Dean’s List. Undergraduates who earn at least a 3.5 grade-point average for 12 or more credits of graded course work during a semester or for 6 or more credits of graded course work during a summer term will be named to the dean’s list for that semester or term. Course enrollment under the grading option of credit/no credit is not used in Dean’s List calculation. This designation will be placed on students’ academic transcript.

Students may choose to earn up to 15 credits under the credit/no credit option; if a course is offered only for credit/no credit, it will not be counted in the fifteen-credit allowance. Students who have taken a course for a grade cannot take it again on a credit/no credit basis. Courses taken on a credit/no credit basis will not count toward the academic major, minor, or any University Core Curriculum requirements, except for student teaching, internships, and courses offered only for credit/no credit. If a student has taken courses in a particular subject for credit/no credit and then decides to major or minor in that subject, not more than two of the courses will count toward the major or minor requirements. Students on academic probation may not use the credit/no credit option. With these exceptions, departments must allow students to take courses for credit/no credit.

A student will be placed on academic probation at the close of a term when the cumulative grade-point average is less than 2.0. At the close of a term, the Office of the Registrar will notify students who are on academic probation of their status, including any requirements the University establishes to help improve their academic performance.

    Students on academic probation may be required to repeat courses, enroll in no more than 18 credits, take courses in reading and study skills, attend academic progress meetings sponsored by the Office of the Registrar, attend workshops and seminars on academic success, obtain advisor’s approval to make schedule changes, and enroll in class sections that offer supplemental instruction. Students who are informed by the registrar that they have been placed on academic probation should immediately meet with an academic advisor to discuss plans for improvement.

    Academic standing is determined at the end of a semester. To avoid academic dismissal a student on academic probation must meet the following conditions: 

  • A student with less than 30 earned credits at the end of the semester, (including transfer credit and other credit granted) is required to earn a 2.0 term grade-point average at the end of the probation term and each following term until the cumulative average reaches 2.0 or above.
  • A student with 30 or more earned credits at the end of the semester, (including transfer credit and other credit granted) is required to earn a 2.1 term grade-point average at the end of the probation term and each following term until the cumulative average reaches 2.0 or above. 

Transferred credits from other colleges and universities will be included in determining the number of completed credits. The grades from those institutions will not be used in figuring the cumulative grade-point average.

Students dismissed from Ball State for academic reasons cannot be reinstated for at least two semesters (summer is considered a semester). To be reinstated, students must complete an application form available from the Office of the Registrar and submit it to the Office of the Registrar for review by the appropriate date established by the Registrar’s Office. The request cannot be reviewed if a “university hold” has been placed on the student record or if the university has not received official transcripts of grades from all other schools attended since the last semester of attendance at Ball State. Reinstatement to the university does not ensure admission to a particular college or program.

Ball State is not obligated to reinstate students who have been dismissed. Students granted reinstatement must show that they have sufficient aptitude to pursue their intended program of study. They must also show signs of increased maturity, increased commitment to education, and adequate financial resources to attend Ball State without excessive employment. Students may not apply for reinstatement more than once in a twelve-month period. Normally, students who have been disqualified will not be reinstated more than once in a three-year period.

        All degree programs require that students earn a grade-point average of at least 2.0 overall and in each major, minor, certificate, and the University Core Curriculum. Some programs—for example, teacher education—have higher minimum requirements.

Academic Clemency. Undergraduate students who were not enrolled at Ball State University for a five-year period may petition the Office of the Registrar to have grades and credits earned before that period removed from the calculation of their cumulative grade-point averages. Students participating in the program are specifically required to comply with the following provisions:

  • The student must not already have an earned degree from Ball State University.
  • University records must verify that they were not registered in any capacity at Ball State University for a period of at least five years. 
  • For students who qualify for academic clemency, all previous Ball State University course work with grades of C or above will be counted for credit only. However, students will lose credit for all courses with grades below C and resume their academic program with no cumulative grade-point average and marks placed in the student record. 
  • The student’s academic records will be inscribed with the note “Academic Clemency Granted (date).” 
  • Academic clemency may be used only one time by a Ball State University student.
  • Academic clemency is final and irreversible.
  • All other policies of Ball State University apply.

Call the Office of the Registrar, 765-285-1722, for more information on the deadlines for applications for reinstatement or academic clemency.

At the close of each term, enrolled students may view grade reports showing attempted credits, earned credits, quality points, grade-point average for the term, and cumulative grade-point average on the university’s student services Web site Permanent academic records are kept in the Registrar’s Office.

Midterm Evaluation of Undergraduates
By the end of the eighth week of the semester, faculty will submit a midterm grade for all students whose grades are C-, D+, D, D-, F, or NC. This policy will apply to all classes and grades will be made available to students. Each student’s academic advisor will receive notification of the students’ performance, and, if a student lives in a residence hall, the residence hall director will also receive this information. The purpose of the midterm evaluation is to provide students with information about their current classroom performance as well as provide information to support personnel for students whose performance may result in a grade of less than a C. It is ultimately the student’s responsibility to respond appropriately to this information. The midterm grade does not guarantee a specific performance at the end of the semester but is merely notice of the student’s performance to that time. This policy excludes all summer and part of term classes.


Course Repetition 
An undergraduate student may repeat a course an unlimited number of times except in cases where a department has imposed repetition limits. The repetition of a course does not remove the previous grades from the student’s official academic record. A W will not replace a previous grade. The last grade in a course will be used in computing the student’s grade-point average. The credits will count only once toward meeting minimum credit requirements for graduation. The University is not obligated to offer courses so that a student can repeat them. Students are strongly encouraged to meet regularly with an advisor.

The university reserves the right to modify or cancel courses when necessary because of accreditation requirements, insufficient enrollment, lack of staff members, or for financial or other reasons. In addition, the chairperson of a department can transfer students from one section of a class to another section of the same class.

Departments can substitute courses to meet major and minor requirements as long as the substitution does not reduce the number of credits required in the program. Either a student or a department can request a course substitution before the alternate course is taken. The department chairperson must sign a copy of the approval of the substitution; the form must then be submitted to the appropriate advising center.

Students who need to change their class schedules can do so any time after their initial registration through the end of the add/drop time frame. There is no charge for changes made during this time frame.

Extended Education Courses 
The Division of Online and Distance Education offers a wide variety of courses to meet continuing or extended education needs.

Students enrolled in extended education courses are entitled to the support services of University Libraries and Unified Technology Support. Access to other services and facilities is only available to students who have paid all necessary fees.

Ball State students enrolled in any extended education course will only receive residence credit for those courses that originate at Ball State University.

For students pursuing a degree at Ball State University, there may be a limit to the number of independent learning credits that will count toward a major or minor. To inquire about the limitations governing degree programs, contact the academic department responsible for the major or minor.

Class Attendance
A student’s official course program is regarded as a contract with the university. Since full performance requires, in part, regular and punctual class attendance, students are expected to attend all classes for which they are registered. Faculty will establish attendance policies for their courses and communicate those policies through course syllabi or outlines.

Students who know they must be absent from a class should notify the instructor or departmental office. Courtesy requires that students speak to the instructor and preferably present a signed and dated memo briefly stating the reasons for absence.

Faculty members are responsible for keeping records of attendance of all students registered in each class. Students are responsible for completing any work they have missed. The faculty member is not required to do extra teaching to help students “catch up.”

Right to Bereavement Leave 
Students will be excused from class in the event of the death of a close friend or member of the student’s family or household. The number of excused absences allowed is determined by the distance of funeral services from Muncie, Indiana, as follows:

Three work days—150-mile radius of Muncie
Four work days—Between 150-300 mile radius of Muncie
Five work days—Beyond 300-mile radius of Muncie
Seven work days—Outside of North America

If the student is unable to attend the funeral services, the student will be allowed three school days for bereavement.

Given proper documentation, the instructor will excuse the student from class and provide the opportunity to earn equivalent credit for assignments missed. If the student is not satisfied with the outcome, he or she may appeal as outlined in Ball State University’s Procedure for Student Bereavement Appeals found in the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities.

Field Trips 
Field trips consistent with the purpose of the course should be planned at the beginning of the semester. Absence caused by field trips in a course or by official university responsibilities will be announced in advance to the instructors of the course(s) in which the student is enrolled. Students obtain these notices through the department chairperson’s office and take them to their instructors at least three days in advance of the absence. No field trips, travel, or other special events involving students are scheduled during the first week or the last two weeks of a semester. Exceptions will be granted only after consultation with and approval by the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and the Vice President for Student Affairs. Whenever possible, trips should be scheduled for weekends.

Field trips are voluntary, but a course grade may be lowered if students do not go on a field trip and do not complete adequate make-up work as assigned.

Internships and Practica 
The university encourages student internships and practica. Internships and practica are defined as supervised practical experience in a student’s field of study. In order to be recorded on the student’s academic transcript, the internship or practicum must have an academic component. Academic supervision must be conducted by faculty in the student’s major or minor course of study in collaboration with a supervisor at the internship or practicum site. Academic internships and practica must be approved by the department chairperson or a designated representative of the student’s major or minor course of study.


Withdrawal from a Course

Change of Course Period 
Students may make changes to their schedule through the add/drop period. Specific calendar dates may be viewed on the website Courses dropped through this period are not recorded on the student’s permanent record. 

Course Withdrawal Period
Students may withdraw from courses from the start date of the course through 60% of the scheduled duration of the course. Specific calendar dates may be viewed on the website at NOTE: Saturday is not considered a class day for these purposes.

The course withdrawal period is determined according to the following schedule:

  • from the sixth to the forty-fifth day of classes in a semester; 
  • from the sixth to the thirtieth day of classes in a summer semester; 
  • from the fourth to the fifteenth day of classes in a five week session;
  • from the fifth day to the twenty-fourth day of classes in an eight week session.

Students wishing to withdraw from a course during this period should first discuss the withdrawal with their instructor. All student-initiated withdrawals will be recorded as a final grade of W during this period. However, students who discontinue enrollment or who abandon courses without following the withdrawal policy’s procedures will normally earn a failing grade in those courses. Students should contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships prior to withdrawing to determine how it will affect your financial aid. To see the impact of the withdrawal on your bursar account view your ebill account online. Additional information can be found on the Bursar Office website. 

Withdrawal after the Course Withdrawal Period

If there are verifiable extenuating circumstances which make withdrawal from a course academically justified after the withdrawal period ends, the college dean or designate may grant an exception to the above withdrawal policy. The faculty member is responsible for recording the last date of attendance and determining a withdrawal or failing grade. To see the impact of the withdrawal on your bursar account, view your ebill account online. Additional information can be found on the Bursar Office website. 

Withdrawal from All Classes 

Students who find it necessary to withdraw from all courses during a semester must immediately contact the appropriate office, as follows: Students enrolled in all main campus courses, or in a blended schedule of main campus and online/distance education courses, should contact the Office of Retention and Graduation, SC
L-20, 765-285-3312. Students enrolled exclusively in courses through Online and Distance Education should see, or 1-800-872-0369.

A student may be eligible for a refund of registration fees charged only if the student withdraws from all classes during any semester. Further, the only fees that are eligible for a refund are registration fees. There is no refund of the applied music fee for either the matriculated or the non-matriculated student.

The following schedule indicates the prorated portion of the registration fees a student may be eligible to receive provided the student complies with the University’s policy for withdrawing from all classes through the Office of Retention and Graduation.

Percent Refunded


Weeks in a Semester, Session or Term

Withdrawal During Week 16 10 8 5
1 100%  90% 80% 75%
2 80% 70% 60% 40%
3 60% 50% 40% 0%
4 50%  30% 20%  
5 40% 10%    
6 30% 0%    
7 20%      
8 10%      
9 0%      

Students must apply for graduation. Application forms are available in the advising centers or online and must be submitted early in the appropriate school year, before the deadline printed on the back of the application form.

Graduation with Honors 
Students completing all university requirements for graduation with a grade-point average of 3.9 or higher will graduate summa cum laude. If the grade-point average is between 3.8 and 3.899, students will graduate magna cum laude. If the grade-point average is between 3.6 and 3.799, students will graduate cum laude.

The grade-point average upon which graduation honors are determined includes all work at Ball State University completed for graduation. In addition, transfer students must have earned a minimum of 60 semester credits at Ball State University to be eligible for honors.

Associate Degrees with Academic Distinction
Students graduating with associate degrees who maintain at least a 3.6 grade-point average will receive a designation of Associate of Arts/Science with Academic Distinction on their academic transcripts. Transfer students must have earned a minimum of 30 semester credits at Ball State University to be eligible for Academic Distinction.