Writing the Essay using Canvas Quiz (File Upload):
The Writing Proficiency Exam is written using Canvas, a software to which all BSU students have access. The process is as follows:
- When you come to your Exam, you will find the proctors have prepared a split screen for you: one side allows you to access Canvas, and the other side presents a Word document the proctors have created for you.
- You will write your Exam number (which is provided on your "Dear Student" letter) in the upper left-hand corner of the Word document. Then, save the file to the Desktop.
- You open Canvas to your WPP392 course, and the proctor will help you sign into the Exam (Quiz).
- You keep both Canvas and Word open throughout the Exam.
- Keeping an eye on your timer, you write your essay on the Word file.
- When you are finished, you save the file to the Desktop.
- Then, you upload the file to Canvas and submit the Exam.
Unless otherwise instructed, students must write their Exam essay using Canvas Quiz and a Microsoft Word created by the proctors. Students may not open any other applications or websites during the testing period.
The Writing Process:
Many students have problems with the Writing Proficiency Exam because they begin writing before they have actually worked out what they want to argue, explain, or prove in response to the prompt. They just start writing and hope things will fall into place.
It is true that some people can write excellent essays using this technique; however, many more of us cannot and would experience less anxiety if we had developed a plan of action for taking the Exam.
Therefore, we suggest that before you choose your prompt, you consider what you thought about during your critical reading of the article. Also, take the time to do some invention work before you begin writing your essay exam. Then, when you have finished drafting, take some time to edit your response.
Look through the following pages to refresh your memories about pre-work, formatting, and correct in-text citation techniques.
You will also want to familiarize yourself with the Grading Criteria and be aware of the process to follow if you would like to schedule some feedback about an exam essay you have written.