All prompts for the Writing Proficiency Exams (WPP392) Essay 3 for Writing Proficiency Course (WPP393), and Writing Proficiency Seminar (WPP394) are written to elicit the expression of a judgment. The essay you write will, then, express a clear judgment and use reasoning to support that claim.
Below is the definition of "judgment" we use for Writing Proficiency Program essays:
- Mature, sophisticated response to a question.
- Expressed as a claim that responds clearly to the question asked.
- Is supported by well-developed reasoning which indicates that the writer understands the context within which the question must be viewed.
- Does more than simply parrot back or revolve around critique of material or ideas of others.
- Draws on multiple sources and experiences to express reasoning.
- Understands and writes to the expectations of the audience.