Our design and technology option in the bachelor of fine arts (BFA) in theatre focuses on the whole theatre artist—design theory and technical skills are equally valued.
The design and technology option's BFA curriculum will provide you with a thorough understanding of the skills and tools essential to creating the physical world of a theatre or dance production.
- Your four-year program will be tailored to your individual skills and interests in the areas of scenery, lighting, costume, sound, and hair and makeup, while still providing you with a comprehensive overview of all areas.
- You will be challenged to create and collaborate in new and imaginative ways on a wide variety of plays, musicals, and dance pieces.
- You will have a portfolio review every semester to monitor your progress and growth, preparing you to transition to the professional world after graduation.
- The design and technology option of our BFA in theatre requires 84 credit hours, along with an additional 33 credits of core courses and 3 credits of general electives that are part of the University Core Curriculum.
Download Samples 8-Semester Plan (PDF)
Our design and technology faculty are working professionals who bring real-world experience into the classroom. They are dedicated mentors who will help you develop your individual skills and provide you with a rigorous and diverse educational experience to prepare you to begin working professionally upon graduation.
- Our low student-to-faculty ratio encourages the individuality of each artist.
- You will receive personalized, hands-on advising and mentoring from a faculty of working professionals who bring unique perspectives and real-world experience into the classroom.
- Throughout your four years of study, you will also work with professional guest artists—directors, designers, and technicians—whom we invite to campus each year.
Our dedicated, caring faculty will immediately welcome you into our community and guide you throughout your entire experience at Ball State. Our design and technology faculty have worked professionally in New York, Chicago, and numerous regional theaters.
READ THEIR BIOS
Because we are an undergraduate-only program, you will gain significant hands-on experience in our dynamic production season beginning your freshman year. These opportunities range from crew positions to lead design and technical roles. During the summers, our students are encouraged to pursue employment and internship opportunities around the country.
- Ball State is within driving distance of major theatres in Chicago, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Louisville.
- Faculty members can assist you in finding internships, regional and summer work, and top graduate programs if you are interested in continued study.
Ball State design and technology alumni are working all over the country – on and off Broadway, in Chicago, on national tours, and in regional theatres. We have active and supportive alumni networks in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, and other major cities.
SEE THEIR ACCOMPLISHMENTS
In addition to faculty who are working design and technology professionals, we bring in distinguished guest artists on a regular basis to work with you—in classes, workshops, and the production season. These seasoned practitioners will enrich your educational experience immeasurably, while also allowing for professional networking opportunities.
SEE OUR GUEST ARTISTS
Paying for Your Education
On top of the many forms of financial aid Ball State offers, the Department of Theatre and Dance offers a wide variety of merit and need-based scholarships to our own students at all levels and in all areas. We provide tens of thousands of dollars in support to make the college experience more affordable.
Apply to the Program
An interview is required for admission into the BFA in theatre's design and technology option. You must apply for admission to the University prior to scheduling your interview.
Interview requests are made by filling out the supplemental theatre application that is part of the online application to the University.
Interview for the Program Apply to Ball State