Although they’re not required, we encourage our students to seek internships early and often. You may earn credit for on-the-job experience at an approved off-campus media facility.
You are responsible for securing your own internship and are encouraged to contact the department internship coordinator for help.
TCOM 391: Internship (1-6 credits)
Internship credit must be arranged before in advance of the internship and will not be given after an internship has begun or has been completed. Freshmen and sophomores may earn 1-2 one to two credits and must have completed the pre-TCOM core (TCOM 101, 204, 206, 207, and 284) with a C average or better by the time of application; juniors and seniors may earn 1-6 credits.
No student may earn more than a total of 6 credits. The maximum number of credits earned in a semester for TCOM 391 is based on the number of hours involved in the experience. TCOM 391 does not substitute for any course in the department. Students may not exceed a total of 15 credits in any combination of TCOM 391, 397, 399, and 497.
All internships and TCOM 391 enrollment must be approved by Sonny Wingler, the department internship coordinator.
Policies, Procedures, and Expectations
- The department considers student internships a privilege offered to TCOM majors and minors.
- Internships and TCOM 391 are available only to approved telecommunications majors and minors with 119 or fewer credits toward graduation. The internship coordinator must preapprove any variation from this rule in advance.
- No student may earn more than a total of 6 six total credits in TCOM 391. Freshmen and sophomores may earn 1-2 one to two credits; juniors and seniors may earn 1-6 credits. Multiple internships are allowed as long as the total number of hours does not exceed 6.
- The TCOM internship coordinator must approve all internships and enrollments in TCOM 391 must be approved by the TCOM Internship Coordinator. Students may not begin an internship until an application is proved. Enrollment in TCOM 391 will not be approved if a student has begun or completed an internship. Each student must submit a letter or e-mail from the internship supervisor detailing the student’s start and stop dates, total work hours, and job duties and responsibilities.
- TCOM majors and minors may not exceed a total of 15 credits in any combination of TCOM 391, 397, 399, and 497. TCOM 391 does not substitute for a course offered by the department.
- The maximum number of credits earned in a particular semester for TCOM 391 is based on the number of hours involved in the experience. Students are not required to enroll for the maximum number of credits permitted in TCOM 391. To earn the maximum, however, students are expected to work a minimum of:
- 70 hours per semester for one credit in TCOM 391
- 140 hours per semester for two credits in TCOM 391
- 210 hours per semester for three credits in TCOM 391
- 280 hours per semester for four credits in TCOM 391
- 350 hours per semester for five credits in TCOM 391
- 420 hours per semester for six credits in TCOM 391
- After completing an internship, students must submit to the TCOM internship coordinator a paper (three pages minimum) addressing the following topics:
- What you found valuable about the internship experience and whether you encountered any problems.
- Which TCOM courses and activities outside the classroom best prepared you for the experience?
- Any topics or projects that could be added to TCOM courses that you feel would benefit other students planning an internship.
Also, the intern’s supervisor will evaluate the student’s performance and give a grade for TCOM 391. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure that all material is handed in to the internship coordinator on time.
- Students enrolled only in TCOM 391 for a semester are eligible to pay off-campus fees and must register for an off-campus section of TCOM 391. Students enrolled in TCOM 391 together with 1 or more hours on campus must pay on-campus fees and register for an on-campus section of TCOM 391. On-campus or off-campus status is determined at registration and may not be changed within a semester.
- Financial aid may be used for TCOM 391, and several scholarships are available. See the internship coordinator for more details.