How do credit/no-credit courses count?

A credit/no-credit course does not affect the GPA, but it does count toward the total number of hours if the student passes the course. If the student does not pass the course, the GPA is not affected and the course does not count toward the total number of hours. If the student retakes the course and passes, the GPA is not affected, but it does count toward the total number of hours. Both the original fail and the subsequent pass will show up on the transcript, but neither will affect the GPA. Credit/no-credit courses will not count toward your major, minor or core requirements, except for student teaching, internships, and courses offered only for credit/no-credit. An exception is taking a credit/no-credit course in an area BEFORE declaring the major or minor. In this case, not more than two credit/no-credit courses will count toward the major or minor requirements.



What is considered a full course load?

During the Fall and Spring semester, taking 12-18 credit hours is considered full time, taking 9-11 credit hours is considered three-quarter time, and taking 6-8 credit hours is considered half time.



How do I declare a sociology major or minor?

There are a few ways to declare a sociology major or minor:
1) Go to the Sociology Department office in NQ 222 and fill out a major/minor change form
2) Contact the sociology undergraduate advisor and let him/her know you would like to major or minor in sociology. The advisor can fill out the form for you and will need an email address and phone number where you can be reached if need be. The advisor will contact the main advising office for you.



Can any course count twice?

In general, a class that is listed on the DAPR in both the core and a major or minor area may count as both (for instance, if a 200 level sociology course is an option for meeting one of the core requirements, that course will count both as meeting the core requirement and toward the sociology major or minor). However, a class can only count in one group of the core. Please remember that even if a course counts twice, students must still meet the 126 credit hour minimum for graduation.



I have additional advising questions.

Feel free to contact the sociology department advisor at 765-285-5977. You may also consult the department of sociology webpage at



What can I do with a sociology degree?

Did you know that “sociologist” is ranked as one of the top ten best jobs in the U.S. based on income, physical and emotional job environment, employment outlook, physical demands, and stress?

Why? Sociology majors develop practical skills that are valued and sought after in multiple sectors of the job market. These skills include:

• research methods
• data analysis
• problem solving
• analytical and critical thinking
• writing

This gives graduates the flexibility to start careers in a wide variety of settings after graduation. Sociology is a good practical choice, especially for those who are concerned about the consequences of narrow specialization in a volatile job market.


What can I do with a BA in sociology?

Earning a bachelor's degree in sociology will provide you with:

• Valuable knowledge for fields that involve investigative skills and working with diverse groups, such as journalism, politics, public relations, business, or public administration.

• A strong liberal arts foundation for entry-level positions in business, social service, and government, as well as for professions that require further study, such as law, education, medicine, social work, and counseling.

• Excellent preparation to continue your sociology education at the graduate level, should you want to become a professor, researcher, or applied sociologist.


What can I do with an MA or PhD degree in sociology?

By earning a graduate-level degree, you have a wide range of sociological career options, including those that may not carry the specific title of "sociologist":

• Sociologists become high school teachers or faculty in colleges and universities, who advise students, conduct and publish research. More than 3,000 colleges offer sociology courses.

• Sociologists enter the corporate, nonprofit, and government worlds as directors of research, policy analysts, consultants, human resource managers, and program managers.

• Practicing sociologists with advanced degrees may be called research analysts, survey researchers, gerontologists, statisticians, urban planners, community developers, criminologists, or demographers.

• Some sociologists with either a master of arts or doctoral degree or both get specialized training to become counselors, therapists, or program directors in social service agencies.

Below is a list of jobs sociology students from BSU have held after graduation:

Sociology Majors

Director of Community Relations for Sunrise Senior Living
I have found my Sociology degree very useful in the varied fields I've pursued in the past 10 years, both in operations and sales. Currently, I am the Director of Community Relations for Sunrise Senior Living where my primary role is to help families find senior living solutions for their loved ones. Additionally, I've found my degree to be beneficial when I was in direct operations leadership as a manager, leading 25 people.

Patient Input Data Coordination Manager, Fresenius Medical Care/North America
Currently, I am using demographic research methods and all of my statistics course work in my current job at Fresenius Medical Care/North America.

I am a Patient Input Data Coordination Manager in Indianapolis, IN. Fresenius is an international company based out of Bad Hombug, Germany- I specialize in data management and data analysis for Renal Care for patients who are on dialysis. I look at demographics and statistics on a daily basis along with various computer programs including Microsoft Excel, SPSS, and SAP. My BS and MA in Sociology helped me gain the necessary skills to work in the statistics/data analysis field and I can honestly say that I love my job.

Community Organizing with the ACLU of Wisconsin Madison
I'm putting my Sociology BS and Women's Studies minor to work in community organizing with the ACLU of Wisconsin Madison office. I love my job! Combined with a political science background, students could find lots of success in community organizing, lobbying, non-profit communications or public affairs education.

Family Case Manager at Indiana Department of Child Services
I graduated with a Bachelor in Science from BSU in December of 2007. My major was Sociology and my minor was Psychology. I have been employed since January of 2008 by the State of Indiana Department of Child Services Local Office in Marion County.
I am a Family Case Manager at DCS working in Child Welfare everyday.
I loved my time at BSU and especially enjoyed the Dept. of Sociology. I hope this program remains strong and prospers for many generations of students to enjoy in the future.

Sociology Graduate Students

Assistant Director of the Social Science Research Center
I have used my sociology Master's Degree to become the Assistant Director of the Social Science Research Center at Ball State University, as well as a post-secondary instructor of Sociology at both Ivy Tech and Ball State University campuses.

Assistant Director in the Office of Assessment
I have used my M.A. Sociology degree from Ball State, and especially my Graduate Certificate in Institutional Research in my current position as Assistant Director in the Office of Assessment at Kansas State University. I rely on my research methods and statistical background nearly every day when working on reports, research projects, etc. Ball State had prepared me well to enter the IR profession. I still find people, even when I attend IR conferences and workshops, who are amazed that there are IR courses and certificates in IR.

Sociology Minors

Planner at RATIO Architects
I minored in soc., but majored in urban planning and development. I now work as a planner at a multi-disciplinary firm in Indianapolis, RATIO Architects.

Sales Representative for Rivar's, Inc.
I graduated from Ball State in 2007 with a Sociology minor. I am now working in sales for a performance apparel company.

Marketing Consultant for Methodist Medical Group
I graduated in May 2007. I had a Public Relations Major and a Sociology Minor.
I'm currently a Marketing Consultant for Methodist Medical Group, a Partner of Clarian Health.

Research Attorney with the State of Michigan
I received your request for information regarding how I've used my sociology or BSU degree since graduation. My major was English, and my minor was Sociology. I attended law school after graduating from BSU, and I am now a research attorney with the State of Michigan.

Additional Positions with Sociology Background

Master of Science, Higher Education Student Affairs and Enrollment Services at Indiana University
1) Graduate Student - Candidate for Master of Science, Higher Education Student Affairs and Enrollment Services at Indiana University, May '09
2) Graduate Assistant (Career Advisor)
Indiana University Career Development Center
3) Upon completing my masters this spring, I am hoping to find a full time position as a Career Advisor or an advisor in an academic support office on campus.

Residence Director at Illinois Wesleyan University
After graduating from Ball State, I attended Indiana State University to pursue a masters degree. I graduated from there in May 2008 with a Masters in Student Affairs and Enrollment Services and Higher Education. My assistantship was with the Office of Residential Life as an Assistant Hall Director. So I supervised a staff of 10 RAs; advised students with their personal, academic, and occupational problems; talked with parents when I saw them; and lots of other little things.

Now, I am working at Illinois Wesleyan University as a Residence Director. I'm doing many of the same things I was doing during grad school. I am directly supervising 6 RAs, indirectly supervising 10 Desk Aides who work at the front desk in my hall, meeting with students to either talk about problems they are having in their lives or for a judicial meeting if they break policy, support the Hall Council in my building, and sit on different committees both within the Office of Residential Life and in the Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services.

As you can imagine, I am around lots of people almost all the time. I feel the class work at Ball State helped me in understanding how the students in my building are functioning and co-existing together, the mentality first year students come in with along with what their parents are hoping for, and in general how the campus as a society functions. It has served me well in working with campus politics and explaining to students why "the university" decided to do this instead of that.

Management Position at Private Foster Care Agency
I currently work at a private foster care agency in Muncie doing case management work.

Adjunct Faculty Member at Ivy Tech Community College
I am adjunct faculty member at Ivy Tech Community College teaching Introduction to Sociology. I have three face-to-face class and two online classes. 

Corporate Vice President
I just made the transition to a position in my family's business.



Are there any scholarships available?

For information about scholarships available at Ball State University, please visit this website.

At this time, sociology does not have a departmental scholarship program.



I already have a BA and want to become licensed to teach. What do I do?

Contact the licensing office at 285-1168 for specific information on how the program works.



Where do I go for information about financial aid?

Visit the Office of Financial Aid. They are located in Lucina Hall, room 245. You may reach them by phone at 765-285-5600 or toll-free 1-800-227-4017. Emergency financial aid is available through the Office of Student Rights and Community Standards.



What do I do if I am having difficulty with another student in my class?

Consult the BSU Student Code of Conduct for information about appropriate and inappropriate student conduct at BSU. Feel free to talk with the instructor. The instructor can make general announcements in class or approach specific individuals about behavior without you being identified. You may also want to contact the Ombudsperson (AD 238, 765-285-1545) to discuss the situation and explore possibilities. For concerns, such as harassment and being stalked, please contact the Office of Student Rights and Community Standards at 765-285-5036 or visit them in the Student Center, room 224. The counseling center may also be of assistance. The center is located in Lucina Hall, Room 320. You may also reach them by phone at (765) 285-1736.



What do I do if I am having difficulty with a faculty member?

If you are comfortable, talk directly with the faculty member. Please be courteous, respectful, and specific. If you would like to speak to a neutral, confident, and independent party, please contact the Ombudsperson (AD 238, 765-285-1545) to discuss the situation and explore possibilities. If you think you are being graded unfairly, talk directly to the instructor. Compare your work against the assignment criteria. Highlight the specific place in your work where you met the assignment criteria. If your instructor has changed the course requirements from what is on the syllabus, please understand that changes are sometimes necessary and are most likely a result of unforeseen circumstances. Talk with the instructor about these changes. You may also contact the Department Chairperson at 765-285-5977. Meetings with the department Chairperson are confidential. For these, and other academic related issues, you may also contact the Office of Student Rights and Community Standards at 765-285-5036 or visit them in the Student Center, room 224.



Is there a sociology club at BSU? What is AKD?

There is not a formal sociology club at BSU. However, we do have a chapter of Alpha Kappa Delta (AKD), a sociology honor society. Meetings are held about once a month to discuss fundraising, social, and academic activities during the semester and school year. In the past, AKD has raised funds through book sales, bake sales, and designing and selling Sociology department T-shirts. AKD has also volunteered at local food banks to raise funds for social services. One of highlights of AKD is participating in the annual meetings of the North Central Sociological Association, the regional sociology association. Any sociology major or minor is welcome to participate in AKD meetings and activities. However, official membership is limited to juniors and seniors who carry at least a 3.0 GPA in overall course work and in any sociology courses taken. Graduate students are also eligible for membership in AKD. Members must have taken at least four sociology courses. To apply for AKD membership, print out the application, complete it, and take it to NQ 205, the Department of Sociology's main office, with a check for $48 made out to "Ball State University--AKD." This fee covers the cost of honor cords worn during graduation, the initiation certificate students receive when officially welcomed into the honor society, a one-year subscription to the journal Sociological Inquiry, and lifetime membership in AKD. For more information about AKD, please contact the advisors.



How do I get faculty members to write graduate school reference letters for me?

Choose a faculty member with whom you have a positive professional relationship and knows you fairly well. Ask the faculty member if they can write you a “strong letter of recommendation.” It is a good idea to ask a faculty member with whom who you have taken at least one class and/or worked closely with in another professional capacity, such as research assistance.



Can I graduate with honors in sociology?

You must be a sociology major with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 in sociology and have completed 4 sociology courses before your senior year. You will also need to complete a senior thesis on a topic approved by both the sociology department and Honors College. Before your senior year, arrange for a faculty member in the Department of Sociology to supervise your thesis. Complete appropriate paperwork from the Honors College in Edmond F. and Virginia B. Ball 104. Register for Soc 490 (Independent Study) during the first semester of your senior year. 
During the first semester of your senior year, you will complete a research proposal. If the research proposal is approved by the advising faculty member, the student will complete and submit required paperwork to the Honors College to progress to the next stage (please remember to keep one copy of paperwork for your records and submit one copy to the department of sociology). You may also consider enrolling in PSYSC 499 for 1 credit.
During the second semester of your senior year, you will need to register for Honors 499N “Senior Honors Project.” These credits will not count toward meeting major requirements but will count as elective credits. Your faculty advisor will get you “permissioned” into the course to enable you to register. Your thesis must be completed by the 13th week of classes. The faculty supervisor and the Chairperson of the Department of Sociology must approve the final thesis paper. You may also consider enrolling in PSYSC 499 for 2 credits. For additional information, please visit the Honor’s College

Another option is to participate in an undergraduate fellows program. In this program, a student will work on a faculty mentor’s project for 10 hrs./week for 15 weeks. If you are interested, please contact the Undergraduate Director at 765-285-5977.



What are the requirements for the graduate program in sociology at BSU?

The Masters of Art (MA) in Sociology degree from BSU is a program that emphasizes research. Students will take numerous statistics and methods classes, which provide them with marketable research skills and a solid foundation for completing a PhD elsewhere. The program requires 33 credit hours and a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0. Students are required to complete Soc 600, 603, 681, 682, and 684. The remaining 18 hours may be earned by completing a thesis (worth up to 6 credit hours), institutional research certificate program (worth 15 credit hours), and/or electives. For more information about the MA degree, please contact the Graduate Director at 765-285-5977. For more information about the institutional research certificate program, please contact Dr. William Knight, Executive Director of Institutional Effectiveness, at (765) 285-5974.



How can I graduate with honors?

There are three levels at which one can graduate with honors. Your cumulative GPA must fall within one of the following three ranges: 3.900 or higher (summa cum laude), 3.800-3.899 (magna cum laude), 3.600-3.799 (cum laude). You may also earn academic honors in writing. Please visit this website for more information.



What is academic probation and how do I get off of it?

You are placed on academic probation if your cumulative GPA falls below a 2.0. If it is below 2.0, the student must increase it to 2.0 the next semester, or maintain at least a 2.1 each semester until the cumulative GPA reaches 2.0. Otherwise, the student will be subject to academic dismissal. 
If you are informed by the registrar that you are on academic probation, you should immediately meet with your academic advisor. You may be required to repeat courses, limit your semester enrollment, take additional courses in reading and study skills, attend academic progress meetings sponsored by the Office of Registration and Academic Progress, attend workshops and seminars on academic success, or other requirements. 
Students dismissed from Ball State for academic reasons must wait two semesters (summer counts as a semester) before returning. Obtain and complete an application for reinstatement from the Office of Registrar and return it to that office. Please note that you cannot be reinstated if there is a “hold” on your record. This and additional information can be found here.



How do I withdraw from the university?

You will need to meet with the Director, Office of Retention and Graduation to discuss the situation and explore options. You should return a completed withdrawal form to the Office of Retention and Graduation.



How do I add or drop courses?

You may add or drop courses during the add/drop period, which ends the fifth day of each semester (or the third day of a summer session) by visiting this website. Courses dropped during this time will not appear on your official transcript. If you wish to withdraw from a course AFTER the add/drop period, you must fill out a withdrawal form and return it to the registrar's office by the publicized deadline (around the 45th day of classes in the Fall or Spring semesters). It is a good idea to discuss withdrawing with the instructor. If you decide you want to withdraw from a course, complete a withdrawal form and submit it to the Office of Registration and Academic Progress by the close of business hours on the last day of the withdrawal period. After the deadline, students may withdraw from courses only under extreme and verifiable circumstances and must meet with the instructor and the dean of the college to discuss the situation. 
Students may add a course after the add/drop period by contacting the instructor who will then contact the department’s Administrative Coordinator. After the Administrative Coordinator “permissions” the student into the course, the study will have one day to register for the course by going to Lucina Hall. Another option is for the instructor to write a permission letter on department letterhead and have the student take this letter directly to Lucina.



How do I read a DAPR?

For information on how to read your DAPR, visit this website.



Do sociology majors get preference for sociology courses?

For most students, registration is based on seniority, not major. At the end of the course request period, students will be placed into their requested classes according to their class standing. Seniors are considered first, then juniors, etc. If you have requested a particular section of a course and it is full, you will automatically be placed in another available section. If you cannot get into a course because you think it is full, you can contact the instructor and ask for permission. The instructor will verify if the course is indeed full. If you are about to graduate, the department may consider a course substitution. Please contact the Undergraduate Director at 765-285-5977 for course substitution questions.



How do I get into classes if there is a hold on my schedule?

A “hold” can be placed on your schedule if you have unpaid fines. This means you will not be able to register for classes. To solve this problem, contact the department that has placed a “hold” on you to discuss options. You will need to pay any outstanding fines in order to register for classes. After the “hold” has been lifted, you will need to use the Add/Drop/Registration utility to register for classes.



How do I find out what sociology courses will be offered next semester or the semester after that?

The following courses tend to be offered every semester: Soc 100, 380, 382, 402, and 492. The following courses tend to be offered at least once a year: Soc 224, 328, 242, 260, 320, 341, 355, 421, 424, 425, 427, 433, 434, and 450. 425 is usually offered less than once a year. Please understand this is a guideline for planning purposes only. Please consult course catalogs for complete listings of course offerings. Courses taught by adjuncts are not included in this guide. Courses offered are subject to personnel, scheduling, and financial availability.
You may access the course planner here. Specify the sociology department, the course you are interested in, and the term you would like to check. You may also check the sociology website or contact the department’s Administrative Coordinator, Lisa Etchison, at (765) 285-5977 for a list of courses offered during the upcoming semester. Please remember to use the Course Requests and Add/Drop/Registration utilities to actually register for courses. If you are interested in courses available online, please see the schedule of available courses on the the Independent Learning Program website.



How do I get into a sociology course that is full?

During the first week of class: If a class is full, talk with the instructor. If the instructor grants you permission, s(he) will contact the department’s Administrative Coordinator to have you “permissioned” in the course. Once you have been granted permission, you may then enroll in the course.
After the first week of class: If you would like to add a course that is full, you will need written permission from the instructor. The instructor will need to write a letter on department letterhead and submit it to the Registrar's Office (Lucina Hall, room B43, 765-285-1722,



I’m a teacher education major with a focus in Sociology. What do I need to know?

You must take Soc 100, 6 hours from the following: Soc 235, 241, 242, or 260, and 6 hours from the following: Soc 320, 328, 421, 424, 427, or 470. Each of these classes will have designated assignments (artifacts) for you to include in your teaching portfolio. This portfolio will be assessed by the department of sociology before the student will receive his/her teaching license. Social science teaching majors with areas in sociology are required to meet with the teaching major advisor yearly to ensure they are making progress on their portfolios. You will also need to adhere to 4 decision points. For specific information about these decision points, please visit this website. You will also be required to take a content exam. The dates of the exam will be posted on the sociology department website and on the board across from NQ 208. For additional information about sociology as part of the teacher education major, please contact the teaching major advisor at 765-285-5977.



Can I get my core curriculum speech requirement exempted?

Contact Mrs. Carma Shawger (765-285-8686) in AC 414.



What sociology courses can I use to meet my core curriculum requirements?

The University Core Curriculum (UCC) has two parts: Foundation and Distribution (containing several different components) Requirements. Some sociology classes can be used to meet the Distribution Requirements. Soc 100, 224, 242, 260 can be used to meet the Social and Behavioral Sciences Tier 1 Domain Requirement. Soc 235, 328, 333, 380, 421, 425 can be used to meet the University Core Curriculum Tier 2 Natural and Social Sciences Domain Requirement. Soc 492 meets the Tier 3 Capstone Course Requirement and Soc 380 meets the Writing Emphasis Course Requirement.



How do I arrange for an internship in sociology? 

Students may arrange for a paid (Soc 369) or unpaid (Soc 488) internship. Supervision is provided by both sociology faculty and employers. Students should contact the Undergraduate Director at 765-285-5977 to discuss internship options. The student should also discuss the possibility with the agency in which the student would like to work. For possible agencies, students may want to visit the student voluntary services site or the career center site. They generally have information on organizations that are seeking interns. A total of 6 credit hours may be earned for internships.



How can online or independent leaning courses count toward my degree requirements? 

The sociology department offers several courses, including some required courses online through BSU’s Independent Learning Program (ILP). Taking a course online will meet the requirement the same as if you were to take that course in a classroom. The sociology department does not limit the number of courses a student can take online to count toward a major or minor, but this may not be the case with other departments. Also, there is no restriction on the number of general studies classes that you can take through the program. For additional information and to find out what courses are currently offered, contact the ILP office at 1-800-872-0369. Please note that the number of classes you take off campus in a given semester may affect your financial aid. Please contact the financial aid office for additional information.



I am going to do a semester abroad. Will the courses I take count for graduation and meeting sociology requirements? 

Students can take courses in their major(s) or minor(s) overseas. Programs are also offered that allow students to earn credit for core classes. Before departure, students must have their credits approved by the BSU department(s) that would award credit. Fill out a Request for Study Abroad Credit Sheet and obtain signatures from the department(s) in which you want to earn credit. Field Studies, London Centre, and Australia Centre are pre-approved for credit transfer. You may also wish to set up an independent study (Soc 490) with a faculty member in the sociology department to earn additional credit while abroad. See question on independent studies for additional information. It may also be possible to arrange a section of a particular course (such as SOC 320) and examine topics typically covered in this course overseas (such as comparing and contrasting social inequality here and abroad). Please contact the Undergraduate Director at 765-285-5977 to explore this option. For more information about studying abroad, please visit the Center for International Programs. The office is located in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center, Room 102. You can reach the office by phone at (765) 285-5422 or visit the website.



How do I arrange for an independent study in sociology? 

Students wishing to conduct an independent study (Soc 490) should contact the sociology faculty member with whom they would like to work. A total of 3 credit hours may be earned for an independent study.



Can I get credit for foreign language placement tests?

If a student takes a foreign language placement test and is placed in a higher level course he/she may receive credit for the lower level courses that were skipped. For more information, contact the Modern Language Department (NQ 138) at (765) 285-1361.



Can I test out of Soc 100? 

Contact Jeff McCoy at 285-1278 in Lucina Hall 367 to take the exam. You will need a score of 60% or higher to receive credit.



Can I transfer credits, such as Soc 100, from other universities? 

If you want to transfer credits from another Indiana college or university, visit this website to learn about pre-approved courses that transfer. Click on a link for CTL (Course Transfer Library) to view by course or institution. If you want to transfer credits form a college or university outside of Indiana, you cannot find the course you want to transfer on CTL, or you do not know how a course will transfer (elective or specific class), you’ll need to obtain a copy of the course description from the other university and, if possible, a syllabus. Submit this course description and syllabus to the advising center in NQ 320. The advising center will submit a Course Transfer Evaluation request to the sociology department. The advising center and Sociology department will decide on a case by case basis if the course is equivalent to a particular BSU course. For additional information regarding credit transfers, please visit this website.



Can I substitute another course for the capstone course? 

Under strict circumstances and with approval, the department may allow a Virginia Ball Center (VBC) experience to meet the capstone requirement. For students to be eligible for a course substitution for the capstone, they would need to meet all of the prerequisites (Soc 380 and Soc 382) and corequisites (Soc 402) for the capstone course. Furthermore, the substitution would need to have a strong sociological component and be similar in scope and activity to the capstone course. Please have the VBC instructor contact the Undergraduate Director at 765-285-5977.



How can I apply for the Virginia Ball Center experience?

Each semester VBC faculty fellows will put out calls for applicants. This may be an email, flyer, and/or classroom visit. Each faculty fellow designs their own application process but it usually involves declaring your interest to apply, writing an essay and participating in an interview.



Can the department waive the statistics requirement?

The department will consider substituting statistics courses from other departments, such as CJC, math, and psychology, if our classes are full. However, the requirement cannot be waived. Please contact the Undergraduate Director at 765-285-5977. for course substitution questions.



What are the prerequisites for the capstone course?

Students must complete Soc 380 and Soc 382 before taking the capstone course. If students have not already completed 402, they must take it during the same semester they are enrolled in the capstone course.



Can I use a statistics course from another department to meet the Soc 382 requirement?

The following substitutions are acceptable ONLY for double majors in sociology and the respective department:
CJC 221 will satisfy the Soc 382 requirement
PSYSC 241 will satisfy the Soc 382 requirement
SOCWK 440 will satisfy the Soc 382 requirement
For additional questions regarding course substitutions, please contact the Undergraduate Director at 765-285-5977.



Can I use a psychology class to substitute for Soc 260? 

ONLY double majors in psychology and sociology can substitute PSYSC 316 (Social Psychology) for Soc 260. For additional questions regarding course substitutions, please contact the Undergraduate Director at 765-285-5977.



Can I use a research methods course from another department to meet the Soc 380 requirement?

The following substitutions are acceptable ONLY for double majors in sociology and the respective department:
CJC 220 will satisfy the Soc 380 requirement
SOCWK 340 will satisfy the Soc 380 requirement
(Please note that PSYSC 284 will NOT meet the SOC 380 requirement.)
For additional questions regarding course substitutions, please contact the Undergraduate Director at 765-285-5977.



What courses are required to major or minor in sociology?

Major (36 hours): Students must complete and earn a grade of C or better in Soc 100, 380, 382, 402, and 492. The remaining 21 hours are Soc electives. At least 12 of these 21 hours must be at the 300 or 400 level. 
Minor (15 hours): Students must complete Soc 100. The remaining 12 hours are Soc electives. At least 6 of these 12 hours must be at the 300 or 400 level. 
Please note that some courses count as filling two requirements, but they do not count double in terms of credit. For example, Soc 100 counts as a core curriculum requirement AND as a requirement for the major and minor. However, taking this class will earn 3 hours of credit.



How do I declare a major or minor in sociology?

Submit a “Major/Minor Curricular Change Form” in North Quad 320 (3rd floor). The form may be picked up in North Quad 320 or in the Sociology departmental office (North Quad 205). Students may earn a BA or BS with a major in sociology. To earn a BA, student must complete a university foreign language requirement.



How do I apply for graduation?

Fill out a graduate application for graduation availability (click the link for the graduate application form). The last day to apply for graduation in a given semester is also the last day to withdraw from a course during that semester. If you miss the graduation deadline, go to the advising center in NQ 320 (3rd floor).



Where do I find the dates of the exit exam?

You will take the exit exam as part of Soc 492 (Capstone). The exit exam dates are announced in the capstone class.



I will be one credit short after next semester. Can I still graduate?

Students have several options if they need one credit hour. You can enroll in SOC 490 (Independent Study) for one credit hour. You may also take a PEP or EXSCI (but not a second PEFWL) course. Also, many students take Military Science 101 or 102 for 1 credit hour. You may also take an online course through ILP.



How can I sign up to take the Writing Competency Exam?

Please visit the following website here for information regarding the writing competency exam.



What do I need to know to graduate?

Be sure you have or are in the process of completing each of the following:

1) Earn at least 126 credit hours

2) Maintain a minimum overall GPA of 2.0. The sociology department currently has no additional GPA requirements for graduation.

3) Complete all University Core Curriculum requirements

4) Complete 36 hours in sociology, including all departmental core courses (100, 380, 382, 402, 492) with grades of C or better, and 12 hours of electives at the 300-400 level (applicable only to sociology majors)

5) Complete requirements for major(s) or minor(s) or drop before applying for graduation

6) Apply for graduation (deadline is last day of withdrawal period)

7) Pass the Writing Competency Exam/Eng 392

8) Meet any requirements stipulated in the graduation letter received after applying for graduation

9) Complete all requirements for the teaching major through decision point 4 (applicable only to teaching majors with a concentration in sociology)