- 2017 John J. Hill Award, Association of Lifelong Learners
- 2018 Outstanding Professor, Student Government Association
2018 Faculty Academy Participant
- 2011 Excellence in Research Award, Center for Disease Control and Transmission Behavioral and Social Science Working Group (with Fujishiro and Xu).
- 2011 Alice Hamilton Award, Honorable Mention for health and safety intervention materials, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (With Sherry Baron et al.).
2018 Nominee, National Residence Hall Honorary Outstanding Professor
2017 John J. Hill Award, Association of Lifelong Learners
Honors and Awards
- 2014 John F. Schnabel Distinguished Contributions to Teaching Award, North Central Sociological Association (NCSA)
- 2007 Lawhead Teaching Award in the University Core Curriculum, Ball State University
- 2005 Excellence in Teaching Award, Ball State University
- 2000 Edwin Ford Piper Memorial Scholarship Award Recipient, University of Iowa
Research Grants and Fellowships
- 2009 National Science Foundation, Social and Economic Sciences Division, Law and Social Sciences and Sociology Programs (joint funding), “Precipitating Legal Change: Children’s Rights, Family Definitions, and Judicial Decision-Making”
- 2005 John W. Fisher Faculty Research Fellowship in American Business or Politics, Ball State University, “Theorizing Legal Change”
- 2005 Lumina Foundation for Education Fellowship, Ball State University, “The ‘Problem’ of Application Questions: Determining What They Really Mean”
- 2018 Nominee, National Residence Hall Honorary Outstanding Professor
- 2011 Grant, Association for the Sociology of Religion.
- 2016 Hans O. Mauksch Award for Distinguished Contributions to Undergraduate Education, American Sociological Association, Section on Teaching and Learning
- 2016 Outstanding faculty Service Award, Ball State University
- 2011 Accessible Teacher of the Year Award, Disabled Student Services, Ball State University
- 2009 Outstanding Teaching Award, Ball State University
- 2009 John H Schnabel Award- Distinguished Contribution to Teaching Award from North Central Sociological Association
- 2008 “Whitinger Scholar Lecture” – selected by fourth year Whitinger Scholars
- 2004 “Vivian Conley Award” – for Outstanding Achievement in Community Service
- 2004, 2009 “Green Initiative Award” – for integration of environmental issues and sustainability into the First Year Experience program, BSU Council on the Environment
- 2003 “Lawhead Award” – For excellence in the Core Curriculum, 2003
2015 Academic Excellence Grant “Social Science Departmental Advising Initiative,” $300,000 (with Professors Messineo, Hogue, Morrison, Mittleman, and Reagan).
- 2017-2019 Petts, Richard J. (Principal Investigator) and Chris Knoester (Co-Investigator). “Paternity Leave and Family Health and Well-Being.” Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health & Human Development (NICHD), Award R03HD087875. $162,032.
- 2018 Faculty Fellow Participant, Skills Infusion Program, Ball State University
- 2012 Sponsored Programs Office Summer Fellow, Ball State University
- 2017 Diversity Research Award, the Office of Inclusive Excellence, Ball State University
- 2015 Research Article Award, Asia and Asian America Section of the American Sociological Association, for the paper titled “Marginalized Model Minority? An Empirical Examination of the Racial Triangulation of Asian Americans,” published at Social Forces with Jennifer Lee (award given to the best article published on Asia and Asian Americans in 2013-2015).
- 2011 Excellence in Research Award, Center for Disease Control and Transmission Behavioral and Social Science Working Group (with Fujishiro and Gong).