Are you interested in our Master’s Degree in Public Relations program? Then it’s time to apply!
Please review our admission requirements, deadlines, and instructions below to prepare for your application.
Application Deadline and Fees
Your application and materials are due by 11:59 p.m. Eastern on the following dates:
Graduate School applications are open for Fall 2022 and Spring 2023. The Summer 2023 Graduate School application will open in early June 2022.
- To start classes in Fall 2022 – August 7, 2022
- To start classes in Spring 2023 – December 25, 2022
- To start classes in Summer 2023 – April 30, 2023
International applicants must adhere to the requirements and deadlines outlined by International Admissions.
Applications are $60 per program. You can pay your application fee (nonrefundable) with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover. Or you may pay online with an electronic check from a U.S. bank. (Note: electronic checks must be cleared prior to your application being complete. This process may take up to 10 days.)
Application Fee Waivers
Your application fee may be waived if you meet one of the criteria outlined below.
Do not pay the application fee if you are a:
- McNair Scholar;
- Ball State student currently enrolled in classes or alumni;
- current Ball State employee (full-time and benefits-eligible);
- veteran or active-duty military;
- guest student seeking credits to transfer to another institution;
- prospective student who attended a Ball State graduate program information session.
If you are in one of the categories above, make sure to select the fee waiver option when completing your online application. When selecting "I attended an informational session" option in the fee waiver section of the application, please provide the information session title and date you attended.
Before You Apply: Recommended Next Steps
Before you begin your application, we recommend you learn more about Ball State, review our admission process and requirements, and gather your required materials.
Step 1: Get to Know Ball State
Learn about Ball State, our Graduate School, and your program of interest.
Step 2: Review Our Admission Process
Some admission requirements differ between types of applicants. Be sure to follow the process that aligns with your current situation. Otherwise, proceed to the next step.
If you are a currently admitted Ball State undergraduate student with at least 75 credit hours and a 3.25 cumulative GPA, you may be eligible for the Accelerated Master’s Program (AMP).
AMP allows you to begin your graduate studies while still an undergraduate student! Start your graduate classes while completing your undergraduate degree where your courses double-count toward your bachelor’s and master’s degrees, saving time and money as you pursue your master's degree at Ball State.
Learn more about the Accelerated Master's Program
How to Apply for AMP
To apply for AMP, complete the Graduate School application for admission by following the requirements listed for your program of interest. You will need to select “Yes” when answering: “Are you a current Ball State University undergraduate student applying to the Accelerated Master's Program?” This will ensure your application is considered for AMP admission.
If you are an international student – someone who has or plans to acquire a visa to study in the U.S. – our International Admissions staff will help you through the admissions process and your unique requirements.
If you were previously enrolled at Ball State but have not taken classes for more than a year—or if you received a "Re-Admit" error when attempting to register for classes—you need to select the “Re-enroll (previous Ball State graduate students only)” option under “Academic Intent” in your application.
Do not choose the Re-enroll Applicant Type if you are any of the following:
- a first-time applicant to a Ball State graduate program;
- applying for a new or different program or certificate than one in which you are already enrolled; OR
- previously applied for a program but never attended any classes.
Applying to Fall 2022, Spring 2023, or Summer 2023
The following requirements are for applicants applying to Fall 2022, Spring 2023, or Summer 2023.
Step 3: Verify Your Admission Requirements
Make sure you meet the following requirements to apply to your program:
- You must have a bachelor's degree or higher from an institution recognized by a regional accrediting association.
- You must have earned a minimum of a 3.0 GPA from the undergraduate degree-granting institution or hold a conferred graduate degree.
Step 4: Gather Your Application Materials
In addition to your application, you will be requested to upload the following materials to your application portal:
- Resume or CV
- Statement of purpose
- provide a 500-word statement describing the following:
- personal information such as professional experience, academic achievements, and volunteer efforts
- your motivation and academic interests in a graduate public relations degree
- why you think Ball State University’s program best suits your needs
- if you are most interested in completing the program online, on campus, or by a mix of online and on-campus courses
- Writing sample
- provide an academic or professional writing sample(s) that best illustrates your ability to think critically and write clearly; the sample(s) should be 1,500 to 2,000 words in total
- Transcripts from your highest earned degree. What is this?
Step 5: Review Department-specific Information
Probationary admission to this program is available if you do not meet the admission requirements outlined above. Additional admissions materials may be requested including a portfolio of professional and/or academic work. Contact the Department of Journalism for more details about probationary admission requirements.
Ready to Apply?
Applying to Ball State is easy, safe, and is a completely online process. You’ll need to complete the online application for graduate admission and then upload any required application materials to your applicant portal.
You will receive an email message after you submit your application with instructions on how to access your applicant portal. The portal will provide further instructions on how to upload your required application materials and submit your full application for review. You will also be able to check your application status and confirm your enrollment via the Decision Reply Form from the portal.
Log In to Your Applicant Portal
We recognize that your graduate education is an important investment for your future. If you have any questions, please reach out to Graduate Admissions for assistance. We are here to help!