Associate Professor of Journalism
About Robin Blom
Dr. Robin Blom is an Associate Professor in the School of Journalism and Strategic Communication and is Director of the Unified Research Lab (URL), and Graduate Studies Director of the master's program in journalism, and co-faculty Advisor of Cardinal Metrics, a student-run media analytics agency. In the URL, he facilitates data collection efforts for research projects in eye tracking, virtual reality, psycho-physiology, media analytics, and gaming studies with affiliated faculty and student researchers.
Dr. Blom's own work focuses on the role of cognitive bias in acceptance of misinformation to better understand why people believe things that are false and do no believe things that are true. This research has been published in a variety of academic journals, such as American Behavioral Scientist; Journalism; Politics; Culture and Socialization; Journal of Media Sociology; and Journalism and Mass Communication Educator. He is currently an editorial board member of Newspaper Research Journal.
Dr. Blom was selected as the Ball Brothers Foundation Honors College Faculty Fellow (2020-2022) to teach several courses: Eyewitness misidentification and social injustice, Pseudoscience and conspiracy theories, and The synthesis of scientific and legal scholarship. Within the journalism department he also teaches Studies in journalism and communication theory, Journalistic judgements and sociology of news, Media audiences and content strategy, Social media analytics and engagement, and more.
- Ball State University: Assistant/Associate Professor, 2013-present
- Michigan State University: Instructor and Teaching Assistant, 2007-2013
- Point Park University: Teaching Assistant, 2006-2007
- Ph.D., Media & Information Studies, Michigan State University
- M.A., Journalism & Mass Communication, Point Park University
- B.A., Journalism, Hogeschool van Utrecht
Selected Research and Publication
- Blom, R. (2019). Eyes wide shut: Failures to teach student journalists about eyewitness error. Journalism & Mass Communication Educator.
- Blom, R. (2019). The irony at the heart of “fake” news and “alternative” facts. In S. Jimenez
- Murguía (Ed.), Trumping truth: Essays on the destructive power of “alternative facts,” Jefferson, NC: McFarland Press.
- Blom, R. (2019). Fact or fiction: Believability of news content from opposing media outlets. Electronic Journal of Communication.
- Blom, R., Bowe, B. J., & Davenport, L. D. (2019). Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications (ACEJMC) accreditation: Quality or compliance? Journalism Studies.
Honors and Awards
- Ball Brothers Honors College Faculty Fellow, 2020-2022
- Distinguished Researcher Award, College of Communication, Information, and Media, 2019
- High Technology Award, College of Communication, Information, and Media, 2016
- Martha Rayne Award for Media History Research, Michigan Journalism Hall of Fame, 2011
- Interdisciplinary Inquiry and Teaching Fellow, Michigan State University, 2009