Are you interested in our Master’s Degree in Nursing program? Then it’s time to apply!
Please review our admission requirements, dates and deadlines, and instructions. Then complete our online application.
Dates and Deadlines
Submit your application and all required supplemental materials by the following dates, depending on which semester you plan to start:
- Spring – September 1
- Fall – April 1
All students must reside in and complete all clinical hours in a state where the Ball State University School of Nursing is authorized to offer its programs. Students moving to a state where the master’s nursing program is not authorized will be unable to progress in the program.
Prior to applying, all prospective students need to visit the state authorizations website to determine if their state currently allows them to enroll at Ball State University for the master’s nursing program. The website and its links are updated on an as needed basis, so please check regularly for updates.
1. Review admission requirements
To be considered for admission, applicants must:
- Reside in and complete all clinical hours in a state where the School of Nursing is authorized to offer its programs. If admitted, the same requirements apply
- Be a graduate of a NLNAC/ACEN or CCNE accredited bachelor’s program in nursing
- RN-MS Option applicants must hold an associate degree in nursing from a NLNAC/ACEN accredited program and a bachelor’s degree in a non-nursing field.
- Applicants in process of completing an undergraduate degree may apply to the program, but must be able to provide proof of successful completion of their nursing degree (via official transcripts) prior to the first day of their desired term of admission.
- Graduates of programs that only offer pass/fail grades are not considered to be competitive applicants.
- Have a minimum overall 3.0 undergraduate GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Hold an active, unencumbered RN license in state of practice
- Applicants who do not hold an RN license at the time of application, due to being in process of completing an undergraduate nursing degree, may apply but must be able to show proof of an active, unencumbered RN license in their state of practice prior to the first day of their desired term of admission.
- Submit all required documents by the application deadline, including an application, transcripts, and all supplemental materials required by the School of Nursing. Please refer to the Information Packet below for a list of the supplemental materials required by the School of Nursing.
If admitted, your admission into the program is provisional and contingent upon the successful completion of the following items by the deadline(s) set by the School of Nursing:
- Admitted students must successfully complete all required health clearance requirements, including a background check, drug screen, and other requirements for clinical practice.
- Admitted students are required to attend a one-day, on-campus orientation. Please refer to the Information Packet below for the orientation date that corresponds with your desired term of admission.
- The GRE is not required.
- Applicants who are or will be recent graduates are able to apply without any experience as an RN, however if admitted into the program the student may be required to show proof of having worked a minimum of 500 hours as an RN prior to starting any clinical courses. The same requirements apply to applicants who are RNs, but who at the time of application are not working as a RN.
- Admission into the program is competitive.
- The School of Nursing does not admit students on a probationary status.
2. Prepare your transcripts.
Ball State must receive transcripts for all applicants. Please review our instructions before you apply. (You do not need to submit Ball State transcripts in order to apply.)
Prior to starting the application process applicants need to download and read the Information Packet below. The packet is specific to those applying to the Master’s Nursing Program and contains information about the required supplemental materials, as well as additional information about the program, including sample plans of study.
As you begin the application process please be aware:
- Applications are only good for one semester.
- Submitting an application does not guarantee admission into the program.
- Meeting or exceeding the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission into the program.
- The Master’s Nursing Program is only offered online. We do not offer an on-campus option.
Download Information Packet (PDF)
Once you have reviewed the admission requirements and read the Information Packet, please complete the online application.
You can pay your application fees (nonrefundable) with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover. Or you may pay online with an electronic check from a U.S. bank.
- applications for degree and nondegree programs – $60 per program
- applications for certificates and licensures – $20 per certificate or licensure
You do not have to pay the application fee if you are a:
- McNair Scholar
- previous Ball State student (enrolled after high school)
- current Ball State employee (full-time, benefits-eligible)
- veteran or active-duty military
If you are in one of these categories, make sure to select the fee waiver option in the application.
After You Apply
Log in to your application status portal below to submit additional materials, check your application status, and confirm your enrollment.
Check Application Status