Are you a professional music educator wanting to do more to inspire your students? Ball State University’s online master of music with a concentration in music education is designed to support the growth of K-12 music educators and serve as a quality foundation for those who may choose to pursue doctoral study.
Because the program can be completed entirely online, you can earn your master’s degree while still teaching at your school. Applicants must have a minimum of two years K-12 school music teaching experience to provide the appropriate context for this advanced degree.
Other Program Features and Benefits
- You will complete 30 credits of course work, including a capstone experience, that is designed to meet your professional and educational goals. Options for the capstone experience include a thesis, creative project, research paper, or cognate (six hours of concentrated study in a focus area).
- Course offerings include a balance of selected courses in music history, music theory, and music performance.
- You might participate in virtual mentorships by education and/or performance faculty for live classroom rehearsals, conducting, professional conferences, etc.
View Course Catalog
Other Ways to Earn Credit
Although each course for the master of music with a concentration in music education is available 100% online, there are other opportunities toward the degree on campus, such as the Music for All Summer Symposium hosted on Ball State's campus each summer. There are also various workshops available. Contact Kevin Gerrity for information about these opportunities.
Why Ball State's Online Master of Music with a Concentration in Music Education?
- Ball State University is a national leader in music education.
- A Ball State degree has the same merit whether you earn it online or on campus.
- You will learn from nationally known and award-winning faculty.
- We are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.
- You can receive course credit while still teaching at your school.
Online Master of Music Student Working on Grad School Memories
"I am enjoying what I learn every single day about myself and my teaching abilities. My professors and my courses have been an excellent fit for me," says Haley Muller.
Read Her Story
More about Online Learning
Ready to Apply?
You will first want to check our admission requirements. Then you may apply.
Want to Learn More?
Do you have questions about this program or online learning? We’re here to help! You may request more information using our online form, or feel free to reach out directly to one of our staff.
REQUEST INFO CONTACT US