Research provides a clear connection between student success and teacher success. That’s why Indiana licensing regulations and teacher evaluations have moved to a model of improving teacher effectiveness. While teacher effectiveness is a district responsibility, the goal of the evaluation process is to increase teacher effectiveness to achieve the “Highly Effective” teacher rating.
As part of your professional growth plan toward becoming an increasingly “Highly Effective” teacher, the online certificate in enhancing teaching practice for elementary teachers concentrates on the areas of:
- Classroom management
- Classroom assessment
- Technology use
- Reading and writing instruction
- Differentiated instruction
The certificate is taught by faculty who hold doctorates and teach in Ball State's Teachers College, one of the most comprehensive and renowned colleges of education in the country. The certificate can be completed in two or three semesters.
The 15-credit certificate is also a good option if you’re considering a master’s degree in the future because it partially completes requirements for the master's in elementary education (MAE).
Director of Graduate Programs
The certificate consists of five courses. There are no course prerequisites.
- EDRD 610 The Teaching of Reading in the Elementary School (3 credits)
- EDEL 626 Discipline and Classroom Management (3 credits)
- ECYF 630 School, Family, and Community Partnerships (3 credits)
- EDEL 655 Principles of Differentiation in the Elementary Classroom (3 credits) or EDEL 657 Development, Implementation, and Evaluation of Elementary Classroom Programs (3 credits)
- EDEL 660 The Effective Use of Technology in the Elementary Classroom (3 credits)
For a complete list of program requirements and courses, see the course catalog.
Completion of this certificate does not lead to initial licensure.
More about Online Learning
Ready to Apply?
Admission to Ball State is selective, and we carefully evaluate all application on an individual basis. Applying for admission is easy. Use our convenient, comprehensive, and secure online application.
Ball State is authorized to accept online students from all U.S. states. However, certain states have regulations regarding licensing programs in nursing and education. Learn more about state authorizations for non-Indiana students.
Want to Learn More?
Do you have questions about this program or online learning? We’re here to help! You may request more information using our online form, or feel free to reach out directly to one of our staff.
Request Info Contact Us