Application Deadline and Fees
Your application and materials are due by 11:59 p.m. Eastern on the following dates:
- to start classes in Spring 2023 – November 1, 2022
- to start classes in Summer 2023 – April 1, 2023
- to start classes in Fall 2023 – July 1, 2023
International applicants must adhere to the requirements and deadlines outlined by International Admissions.
Applications are $60 per program. You can pay your application fee (nonrefundable) with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover. Or you may pay online with an electronic check from a U.S. bank. (Note: electronic checks must be cleared prior to your application being complete. This process may take up to 10 days.)
Application Fee Waivers
Your application fee may be waived if you meet one of the criteria outlined below.
Do not pay the application fee if you are a:
- McNair Scholar;
- Ball State student currently enrolled in classes or alumni;
- current Ball State employee (full-time and benefits-eligible);
- veteran or active-duty military;
- guest student seeking credits to transfer to another institution;
- prospective student who attended a Ball State graduate program information session.
If you are in one of the categories above, make sure to select the fee waiver option when completing your online application. When selecting "I attended an informational session" option in the fee waiver section of the application, please provide the information session title and date you attended.
Before You Apply: Recommended Next Steps
Before you begin your application, we recommend you learn more about Ball State, review our admission process and requirements, and gather your required materials.
Step 1: Get to Know Ball State
Learn about Ball State, our Graduate School, and your program of interest.
Step 2: Review Our Admission Process
Some admission requirements differ between types of applicants. Be sure to follow the process that aligns with your current situation.
Ball State is authorized to accept online students from all U.S. states. However, certain states have regulations and/or additional requirements regarding licensing programs in behavior analysis, nursing, and education.
If you are an international student – someone who has or plans to acquire a visa to study in the U.S. – our International Admissions staff will help you through the admissions process and your unique requirements.
If you are a Permanent Resident of the U.S., refugee, asylee, or DACA status holder, follow the admission requirements for domestic applicants
. If you have a pending U.S. Permanent Resident application, you must apply as an international applicant
If you were previously enrolled at Ball State but have not taken classes for more than a year—or if you received a "Re-Admit" error when attempting to register for classes—you need to select the “Re-enroll (previous Ball State graduate students only)” option under “Academic Intent” in your application.
Do not choose the Re-enroll Applicant Type if you are any of the following:
- a first-time applicant to a Ball State graduate program;
- applying for a new or different program or certificate than one in which you are already enrolled; OR
- previously applied for a program but never attended any classes.
The following requirements are for applicants applying to Spring 2023, Summer 2023, or Fall 2023.
Step 3: Verify Your Admission Requirements
Make sure you meet the following requirements to apply to your program:
- You must have a master's degree or higher from an institution recognized by a regional accrediting association.
- You must have earned a minimum of a 3.2 GPA from the master's degree-granting institution.
- GRE is not required.
Step 4: Gather Your Application Materials
In addition to your application, you will be requested to upload the following materials to your application portal:
- Resume or CV
- Provide a current resume or curriculum vitae that highlights leadership and community involvement.
- Letter of intent
- Provide a letter of intent that describes your educational philosophy and beliefs about leadership (no more than 600 words). You are encouraged to tweak such a document from your coursework, if appropriate (such as assigned in EDAD 600 Introduction to Leadership course at Ball State).
- Writing sample
- Provide a writing sample from a graduate course that reflects your best research writing (with citations and APA 6th-edition formatting).
- Three letters of recommendation
- Supplemental Form
- You will need to complete the supplemental form as part of your online application. You can access supplemental form(s) within your Applicant Status Portal.
- Transcripts showing complete academic record. What is this?
Fall 2023 applicants, please upload the following materials to your application portal:
- Supplemental forms - You will need to complete the supplemental forms as part of your online application. You can access supplemental form(s) within your Applicant Status Portal. On the supplemental forms. you will be asked to:
- List the names and contact information of your professional references.
- Provide more information on your teaching experience and teaching license.
- Resume or CV - Provide a current resume or curriculum vitae that highlights leadership and community involvement.
- Statement of Purpose or Letter of Intent - Provide a letter of intent that describes your educational philosophy and beliefs about leadership (no more than 600 words). You are encouraged to tweak such a document from your coursework, if appropriate (such as assigned in EDAD 600 Introduction to Leadership course at Ball State).
- Writing Sample - Provide a writing sample from a graduate course that reflects your best research writing (with citations and APA 6th-edition formatting).
- Your university/college transcripts showing complete academic record.
Ready to Apply?
Applying to Ball State is easy, safe, and is a completely online process. You’ll need to complete the online application for graduate admission and then upload any required application materials to your applicant portal.
You will receive an email message after you submit your application with instructions on how to access your applicant portal. The portal will provide further instructions on how to upload your required application materials and submit your full application for review. You will also be able to check your application status and confirm your enrollment via the Decision Reply Form from the portal.
Log In to Your Applicant Portal
We recognize that your graduate education is an important investment for your future. If you have any questions, please reach out to Ball State Online for assistance. We are here to help!