Are you interested in our PhD in elementary education program? Then it’s time to apply!
Please review our admission requirements, dates and deadlines, and instructions. Then complete our online application.
Application Deadline and Fees
Your application and materials are due by 11:59 p.m. Eastern on the following dates:
- To start classes in Fall 2022 - July 1, 2022
- To start classes in Spring 2023 - November 1, 2022
- To start classes in Summer 2023 - April 1, 2023
International applicants must adhere to the requirements and deadlines outlined by International Admissions.
Applications are $60 per program. You can pay your application fee (nonrefundable) with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover. Or you may pay online with an electronic check from a U.S. bank. (Note: electronic checks must be cleared prior to your application being complete. This process may take up to 10 days.)
Application Fee Waivers
Your application fee may be waived if you meet one of the criteria outlined below.
Do not pay the application fee if you are a:
- McNair Scholar;
- Ball State student currently enrolled in classes or alumni;
- current Ball State employee (full-time and benefits-eligible);
- veteran or active-duty military;
- guest student seeking credits to transfer to another institution;
- prospective student who attended a Ball State graduate program information session.
If you are in one of the categories above, make sure to select the fee waiver option when completing your online application. When selecting "I attended an informational session" option in the fee waiver section of the application, please provide the information session title and date you attended.
Before You Apply: Recommended Next Steps
Before you begin your application, we recommend you learn more about Ball State, review our admission process and requirements, and gather your required materials.
Step 1: Get to Know Ball State
Learn about Ball State, our Graduate School, and your program of interest.
Step 2: Review Our Admission Process
Some admission requirements differ between types of applicants. Be sure to follow the process that aligns with your current situation. Otherwise, proceed to the next step.
Ball State is authorized to accept online students from all U.S. states. However, certain states have regulations and/or additional requirements regarding licensing programs in behavior analysis, nursing, and education.
If you are an international student – someone who has or plans to acquire a visa to study in the U.S. – our International Admissions staff will help you through the admissions process and your unique requirements.
If you are a Permanent Resident of the U.S., refugee, asylee, or DACA status holder, follow the admission requirements for domestic applicants
. If you have a pending U.S. Permanent Resident application, you must apply as an international applicant
If you were previously enrolled at Ball State but have not taken classes for more than a year—or if you received a "Re-Admit" error when attempting to register for classes—you need to select the “Re-enroll (previous Ball State graduate students only)” option under “Academic Intent” in your application.
Do not choose the Re-enroll Applicant Type if you are any of the following:
- a first-time applicant to a Ball State graduate program;
- applying for a new or different program or certificate than one in which you are already enrolled; OR
- previously applied for a program but never attended any classes.
The following requirements are for applicants applying to Fall 2022, Spring 2023, or Summer 2023.
Step 3: Verify Your Admission Requirements
Make sure you meet the following requirements to apply to your program:
- You must have a master's degree or higher from an institution recognized by a regional accrediting association.
- You must have earned a minimum of a 3.2 GPA from the master's degree-granting institution.
- GRE is not required.
Step 4: Gather Your Application Materials
In addition to your application, you will be requested to upload the following materials to your application portal:
- Letter of intent that describes your educational philosophy and your interest in and expectations from our program. Include past professional experience, research interests, and future goals.
- Names and email addresses for two references who have knowledge of your professional and/or academic work. (Graduate admissions will solicit a letter of recommendation from each listed reference via email upon submission of the application.)
- Current resume or curriculum vitae
- Academic writing sample – email program advisor Becky Druetzler for direction on how to complete the academic writing sample (a response essay to a specified article assigned by the department).
- Transcripts showing complete academic record. What is this?
Step 5: Review Department Specific Information
The Department of Elementary Education considers the following criteria:
- your grade point average (GPA) in previously completed graduate work
- the content submitted by references
- compatibility of the degree program and your goals/needs
- evidence of advanced graduate academic skills (writing, research, etc.)
- relevant career experience: the department strongly recommends a minimum of three years work-related experience in the field of education prior to applying for admission to this program
As part of the review application process, you may be invited to participate in an interview with members of the Department of Elementary Education Graduate Studies Committee. Interviews are typically conducted using an online platform (e.g., Zoom).
Ready to Apply?
Applying to Ball State is easy, safe, and is a completely online process. You’ll need to complete the online application for graduate admission and then upload any required application materials to your applicant portal.
You will receive an email message after you submit your application with instructions on how to access your applicant portal. The portal will provide further instructions on how to upload your required application materials and submit your full application for review. You will also be able to check your application status and confirm your enrollment via the Decision Reply Form from the portal.
Log In to Your Applicant Portal
We recognize that your graduate education is an important investment for your future. If you have any questions, please reach out to Ball State Online for assistance. We are here to help!