The Individual Lessons Program has been canceled for the entire 2020-2021 academic year. Please check back for updates regarding Fall 2021 offerings soon.
The Ball State University School of Music offers individual vocal, instrumental, and composition lessons to youth and adults. Lessons are taught by faculty, graduate students, and advanced undergraduate students, and take place on the Ball State campus.
Note: Students must have at least one year of study on an instrument or in voice prior to enrolling in the Individual Lessons Program (with the exception of students interested in beginning piano studies). This may include participation in a school band, orchestra or choir, or private lessons with an instructor.
Weekly lessons are offered on a semester-by-semester basis and include 12 half-hour or 12 one-hour lessons in each semester. Interested students must register by the registration deadlines outlined below. Those who register mid-semester may have to wait until the start of the next semester to begin lessons.
- Half-hour lessons are recommended for students under the age of 10.
- Voice Lessons (classical & musical theatre) - Students must be age 14 or older.
- Composition Lessons - Students must be age 12 or older and able to read music.
If you are a prospective student wishing to schedule a one-time lesson with a faculty member, we recommend you email the faculty member directly. Faculty email addresses can be found on our Faculty and Staff Directory
The Ball State Piano Pedagogy program offers beginner and intermediate group and individual piano lessons in connection with our Piano Pedagogy and Literature classes. These lessons are offered separately from individual lessons with faculty. Learn more
Housed on the Ball State campus, the Youth Symphony Orchestras of East Central Indiana offers classes for beginning string students with zero to little exposure to string instruments. Learn more
Lessons will begin the week of September 16. The final week of lessons will be December 9. There will be no lessons the week of November 25 (Thanksgiving).
Lessons will begin the week of January 20. The final week of lessons will be April 20. There will be no lessons the week of March 2 (Ball State's Spring Break).
Summer Sessions (8 lessons total)
Summer Session I - Lessons will begin the week of May 11. The final week of lessons will be June 8. There will be no lessons the week of May 25 (Memorial Day).
Summer Session II - Lessons will begin the week of June 15. The final week of lessons will be July 13. There will be no lessons the week of June 29 (week of July 4).
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Students will need to have regular access to an instrument. Owning or renting is recommended. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about how to obtain an instrument.
- Establishing regular practice times outside your lessons is essential to your musical development and studies.
- Teachers may organize studio recital performances in the Spring semester or identify other performance opportunities such as the MTNA Student Recital.
All participants are required to pay a $25 annual registration fee.
Lessons with a faculty member
$900 per semester (12 one-hour lessons)
$600 per semester (12 half-hour lessons)
$600 for summer sessions 1 & 2 (8 one-hour lessons)
$400 for summer sessions 1 & 2 (8 half-hour lessons)
Lessons with a graduate student
$420 per semester (12 one-hour lessons)
$300 per semester (12 half-hour lessons)
$280 for summer sessions 1 & 2 (8 one-hour lessons)
$200 for summer sessions 1 & 2 (8 half-hour lessons)
Lessons with an advanced undergraduate student
$300 per semester (12 one-hour lessons)
$180 per semester (12 half-hour lessons)
$200 for summer sessions 1 & 2 (8 one-hour lessons)
$120 for summer sessions 1 & 2 (8 half-hour lessons)
How to Pay
Payments can be made by check or credit card.
Checks should be made out to Ball State University and sent to:
Ball State University
Pay By Credit Card
School of Music
Attn: Ranae Burkett
2000 W University Ave
Muncie, IN 47306
Payments may be made either once or twice a semester and must meet the deadlines below. Lessons will not commence until payment has been received.
Fall Semester Payment Deadlines
September 9, 2019 – First payment (6 lessons) or full-semester payment (12 lessons)
October 21, 2019 – Second payment (6 lessons)
Spring Semester Payment Deadlines
January 6, 2020 – First payment (6 lessons) or full-semester payment (12 lessons)
February 17, 2020 – Second payment (6 lessons)
Summer Sessions Payment Deadlines
May 4, 2020 - Summer Sessions I and II (8 lessons) or Summer Session I only (4 lessons)
June 8, 2020 - Summer Session II only (4 lessons)
Registration is CLOSED at this time. Please note that faculty availability may vary. Should a faculty member not have space available in his or her studio, we may place you on a wait-list or refer you to another teacher in our program. On occasion, a faculty member may request to meet with you prior to the start of lessons to determine your teacher assignment. In the event no teacher is available, we are happy to refer you to another teacher or music program in the community.
Students who re-enroll each semester will be given first priority with regards to teacher assignment and should re-enroll by Monday, December 7.
PRACTICE ROOM POLICY
Students enrolled in the Individual Lessons Program may only utilize School of Music practice rooms 30 minutes before their scheduled lesson time. If the student is under 18, he/she must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Please note that Ball State music students have practice rooms signed out throughout the day and evening. As a result, there is no way to reserve or guarantee a practice room.
- Students are expected to arrive 5 minutes before their scheduled lesson. If a student arrives more than 10 minutes late, the lesson may be cancelled by the teacher.
- If a student needs to miss or cancel his or her lesson, 24-hour advanced notice is required. Students must report all absences to his or her teacher by phone or email. If 24-hour notice is given, the teacher is required to make up the lesson. Students are guaranteed 2 make up lessons per semester. Should a student miss more than 2 lessons, additional make up lessons are at the teacher’s discretion.
- Refunds will not be given for lessons the student cancels or misses.
- Teachers are required to reschedule any lessons they miss or cancel.
If the University is closed due to inclement weather, all lessons will be canceled and should be rescheduled at a mutually agreeable time. Ball State University maintains an active Twitter account for all emergency notifications.