Assistant Professor of Arabic and French
Modern Languages and Classics
Dr. Abdelaadim Bidaoui is an Assistant Professor of Arabic and French in the Department of Modern Languages and classics at Ball State University. Dr. Bidaoui received a Ph.D. in linguistics from the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign. Dr. Bidaoui does research in Sociolinguistics, Pragmatics and Second Language Acquisition. His current projects are on discourse markers in Arabic and the impact of motivation on learning.
Dr. Bidaoui enjoys teaching his Arabic and French classes and employs a student-centered and communicative approach. In his teaching, Dr. Bidaoui focusses on creating activities that give students the chance to use the target language and to interact with other students. In addition to language classes, Dr. Bidaoui also teaches at the Honors College where he introduced a course about the Arabic language, culture and identity. Dr. Bidaoui’s Honors class serves the need “to foster cross-cultural awareness and understanding of difference” as well as “to enable students to critically assess and compare their own cultural practices with practices in the Arab world”. Dr. Bidaoui integrates communication in teaching, discovery in scholarship and guidance and support in service.
• Bidaoui, A., (To appear in 2021). “The effect of innate psychological
needs on learning Arabic as a second language in light of self- determination theory. The
International Journal of Arabic Linguistics.
• Bidaoui, A. 2020. “Attitudes towards Arabic and Foreign Elaboration Discourse Markers
in Three Dialects of Arabic”. Al Arabiya, (53), 57–83.
• Bidaoui, A., 2020. “The multilingual nature of spoken Arabic and identity
construction in light of Discourse Markers”. The Routledge Handbook of Arabic and Identity, 51-64.
• Bidaoui, A., 2017. “Revisiting the Arabic Diglossic Situation and Highlighting the
Socio-Cultural Factors Shaping Language Use in Light of Auer (2005) Model.” The International
Journal of Society, Culture & Language, 5 (2), 1–24.
• Bidaoui, A., 2017. "Perceptions of the Arabic language in general and of Arabic discourse markers
in particular among Arabs living in the US” in “Perceptions of the Arabic language in the world:
concepts, issues and situations.” King Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz International Center of the Arabic
• Bidaoui, A., 2016. “Discourse markers of elaboration in Maghrebi and Egyptian
dialects: a socio-pragmatic perspective.” The International Journal of Arabic Linguistics, 1 (2),
19 – 45.
• Bidaoui, A. Foote, R. and Abu Nasser, M., 2016. “Relative Clause Attachment in Native
and L2 Arabic.” The International Journal of Arabic Linguistics, 2, 75 –96.
• Bidaoui, A., 2016. “Discourse Markers of Causality in Maghrebi and Egyptian Dialects:
A Socio-Pragmatic Perspective.” Open Linguistics, 2, 593–610.