Are you interested in our Master of Urban Design program? Then it’s time to apply!
Please review our admission requirements, deadlines, and instructions below to prepare for your application.
Application Deadline and Fees
Your application and materials are due by 11:59 p.m. Eastern on the following dates:
- to start classes in Fall 2022 – February 15, 2022
- Confirmation Deadline: May 1, 2022
International applicants must adhere to the requirements and deadlines outlined by International Admissions.
Applications are $60 per program. You can pay your application fee (nonrefundable) with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover. Or you may pay online with an electronic check from a U.S. bank. (Note: electronic checks must be cleared prior to your application being complete. This process may take up to 10 days.)
Application Fee Waivers
Your application fee may be waived if you meet one of the criteria outlined below.
Do not pay the application fee if you are a:
- McNair Scholar;
- Ball State student currently enrolled in classes or alumni;
- current Ball State employee (full-time and benefits-eligible);
- veteran or active-duty military;
- guest student seeking credits to transfer to another institution;
- prospective student who attended a Ball State graduate program information session.
If you are in one of the categories above, make sure to select the fee waiver option when completing your online application. When selecting "I attended an informational session" option in the fee waiver section of the application, please provide the information session title and date you attended.
Before You Apply: Recommended Next Steps
Before you begin your application, we recommend you learn more about Ball State, review our admission process and requirements, and gather your required materials.
Step 1: Get to Know Ball State
Learn about Ball State, our Graduate School, and your program of interest.
Step 2: Review Our Admission Process
Some admission requirements differ between types of applicants. Be sure to follow the process that aligns with your current situation. Otherwise, proceed to the next step.
If you are an international student – someone who has or plans to acquire a visa to study in the U.S. – our International Admissions staff will help you through the admissions process and your unique requirements.
If you are a Permanent Resident of the U.S., refugee, asylee, DACA, or undocumented status holder, follow the admission requirements for domestic applicants
. If you have a pending U.S. Permanent Resident application, you must apply as an international applicant
If you were previously enrolled at Ball State but have not taken classes for more than a year—or if you received a "Re-Admit" error when attempting to register for classes—you need to select the “Re-enroll (previous Ball State graduate students only)” option under “Academic Intent” in your application.
Do not choose the Re-enroll Applicant Type if you are any of the following:
- a first-time applicant to a Ball State graduate program;
- applying for a new or different program or certificate than one in which you are already enrolled; OR
- previously applied for a program but never attended any classes.
Step 3: Verify Your Admission Requirements
Make sure you meet the following requirements to apply to your program:
- You must have a bachelor's degree or higher from an institution recognized by a regional accrediting association.
- You must have earned a minimum of a 2.75 GPA from the undergraduate degree-granting institution.
Step 4: Gather Your Application Materials
In addition to your application, you will be requested to upload the following materials to your application portal:
- Resume or CV
- This may include but not be limited to environmental design drawings (e.g., plans, sections, perspectives, etc.), built works (e.g., models, landscapes, etc.), art (e.g., paintings, sketches, sculpture, etc.), graphic designs (e.g., marketing, advertising, publishing, etc.), and writing samples (e.g., work reports, academic term papers, essays, etc.)
Statement of purpose or letter of intent
- Provide a statement detailing your interest in pursuing the Master of Urban Design with us and describe what sets you apart and your potential for success.
- Transcripts showing complete academic record. What is this?
Step 5: Review Department-specific Information
In addition to your online application and the materials above, the Landscape Architecture department requires the following:
Applicants for the program should have an undergraduate degree in one of the following:
- landscape architecture
- environmental design
- civil engineering
- historic preservation
- urban planning
If you do not have one of these degrees, we will still consider you if you have demonstrated equivalent achievement through a combination of experience and education.
Ready to Apply?
Applying to Ball State is easy, safe, and is a completely online process. You’ll need to complete the online application for graduate admission and then upload any required application materials to your applicant portal.
You will receive an email message after you submit your application with instructions on how to access your applicant portal. The portal will provide further instructions on how to upload your required application materials and submit your full application for review. You will also be able to check your application status and confirm your enrollment via the Decision Reply Form from the portal.
Log In to Your Applicant Portal
We recognize that your graduate education is an important investment for your future. If you have any questions, please reach out to Graduate Admissions for assistance. We are here to help!