Are you interested in our Master of Urban Design program? Then it’s time to apply!
Please review our admission requirements, dates and deadlines, and instructions. Then complete our online application.
Dates and Deadlines
Admission decisions will be mailed by April 1 to those who apply and submit all required materials prior to this deadline. All who wish to be considered for the limited number of graduate assistantships must meet this preferred deadline.
Those who miss the preferred application deadline may still apply up to four weeks before the start of the Fall Semester and will be considered on a space-available basis.
Before You Begin...
If you are an international student – someone who has or plans to acquire a visa to study in the U.S. – our International Admissions staff will help you through the admissions process and your unique requirements.
If you are a current, admitted Ball State student but have not taken classes for more than a year or if you received a "Re-Admit" error when attempting to register for classes, you need to select the:
“Re-enroll (previous Ball State graduate students only)” option under “Academic Intent” in the application.
Do not choose the Re-enroll Applicant Type if you are any of the following:
- a first-time applicant to a Ball State graduate program
- applying for a new or different program or certificate than one in which you are already enrolled
- previously applied for a program but never attended any classes
Applicants for the program must have a degree from an accredited institution of higher education in one of the following:
- civil engineering
- historic preservation
- landscape architecture
- urban planning
If you do not have one of these degrees, we will still consider you if you have demonstrated equivalent achievement through a combination of experience and education.
You must have earned a minimum of a 2.75 GPA from the undergraduate degree-granting institution.
Our program does not require you to take the GRE.
You will need to upload the following materials to your online application:
- curriculum vitae or resume
- statement of purpose – This required letter must express your interest in pursuing the urban design degree and profession.
- portfolio of professional/academic work – A portfolio is a collection of examples of previous professional or academic work and may include professional writing, drawings, photos of work, artistic work, publications, or awards. The purpose of this portfolio is to demonstrate your understanding of the built environment and is the most critical component of the admission decision process. To know what the review committee considers, read our tips.
- writing sample – A maximum four-page writing sample from your undergraduate or professional work should show your ability to analyze, propose, and reflect on design opportunities.
2. Prepare your transcripts.
Ball State must receive transcripts for all applicants. Please review our instructions before you apply. (You do not need to submit Ball State transcripts in order to apply.)
Complete our online application.
You can pay your application fees (nonrefundable) with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover. Or you may pay online with an electronic check from a U.S. bank.
- applications for degree and nondegree programs – $60 per program
- applications for certificates and licensures – $20 per certificate or licensure
You do not have to pay the application fee if you are a:
- McNair Scholar
- previous Ball State student (enrolled after high school)
- current Ball State employee (full-time, benefits-eligible)
- veteran or active-duty military
If you are in one of these categories, make sure to select the fee waiver option in the application.
After You Apply
Log in to your application status portal below to submit additional materials, check your application status, and confirm your enrollment.
Check Application Status