We are a supportive community of faculty, staff, and students driven to pursue knowledge and share truth that spurs progress and adds value to our world.
Our faculty are expert researchers and practitioners dedicated to outfitting you with the expertise, confidence, and connections to lead our field. We balance theory and application through rigorous classroom instruction paired with real-world learning and student media and agency opportunities.
Faculty mentors and industry leaders guide this immersive approach that empowers you to tell multimedia stories across platforms, develop interactive designs, and innovate strategic campaigns. Yes, you’ll graduate with a command of industry trends and technology, but our focus is always on the horizon—to prepare you to adapt and achieve in our ever-changing media landscape.
Produce award-winning work that outfits you with expertise in writing, designing, and strategizing across platforms on deadline.
Learn through hands-on, relevant experiences in technology-rich spaces focused on multimedia storytelling across platforms.
Connect with faculty and staff to learn about their specializations, research, and course offerings.
Gain professional experience working for one of our dynamic student media or work for real-world clients as part of our nationally recognized student agencies.
Keep up with the latest department happenings—from professional development and lectures to networking events and academic deadlines.
Accreditation, Certification, Recognitions
Accredited by Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications (ACEJMC) and certified by Public Relations Society of America (PRSA), the Department of Journalism and its faculty have been recognized or honored for their contributions to the journalism field in numerous ways, including, but not limited to:
- Scripps Howard Foundation award recognitions for National Administrator of the Year and National Journalism and Mass Communication Teacher of the Year.
- Top Faculty Papers from the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication.
- American Psychoanalytic Association Award for Excellence in Journalism.
- Indiana High School Press Association Ingelhart Friend of the High School Press and the Ella Sengenberger Adviser of the Year.
- Mobile Marketing Association Academic Institution of the Year.
- Photo Editor of the Year from the National Press Photographers Association.
- Numerous Journalism Education Association Awards for faculty achievement including the prestigious Carl Towley Award, the H.L. Hall National Yearbook Adviser of the Year, the Linda S. Puntney Teacher Inspiration Award, and JEA’s Medal of Merit.
- Numerous Broadcast Education Association First Place Awards for Faculty Research in Curriculum, Assessment and News.
- Numerous faculty book and chapter authorships.
- Dozens of immersive learning experiences that have made a lasting impact on the Muncie community and beyond. Learn more.