Our department offers six one-year graduate assistantships annually. As a graduate assistant, you will be able to help professors with research and receive a stipend of almost $10,000, tuition remission (some fees still apply), and bookstore discounts.
In order to receive one of our competitive assistantships, you must take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test and have an undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. If you are selected, you will be notified in the spring semester of your assignment for the next year.
If you are planning to apply, you must submit the following early in the spring semester:
- A cover letter explaining how a graduate assistantship would benefit you and the department
- An official record of your GRE general test results
- Three letters of recommendation
- A writing sample (typically an exemplary paper)
- Up-to-date transcripts (undergraduate and graduate, as applicable)
In addition to helping with research, you will help with teaching, assisting with class management, grading, holding study sessions, and finding information for lectures. Others duties may also be assigned.