Clearance to enroll in graduate courses may be granted to students who intend to transfer courses back to their home institution. Transfer-of-credit students are not taking graduate courses toward any graduate degree or licensure program at Ball State and are not considered to be admitted to the Graduate School.

Clearance is granted to students who:

  • hold a baccalaureate
  • are actively pursuing a graduate degree program at another regionally accredited college or university
  • wish to earn credits for transfer to that institution

Transfer-of-credit students normally will not be required to submit official transcripts.

However, students must request the dean of their graduate school to complete the Ball State University — Transfer of Credit form indicating they are in good academic standing (e.g., not under academic probation, suspension, or expelled). If the student has been offered admission to a graduate school at another institution but has not taken any graduate courses at the time transfer for credit status is requested, then the applicant must apply for regular nondegree status and meet all of the requirements for admission as a nondegree student found in the Graduate Catalog. Approval for enrollment as a transfer of credit student is generally given for one academic semester.

To be considered for an additional semester, students must reapply as a transfer-of-credit student. No application fee is required for clearance as a transfer of credit student. Students who subsequently wish to be considered for admission to any graduate degree or licensure program at Ball State must complete the regular admission procedure (including the appropriate application fee) and meet all requirements for their requested program. No more than 9 hours earned as a nondegree student may be applied to any advanced degree program if a person is admitted as a degree-seeking student.

Graduate Assistantships

In order to hold a graduate assistantship, a master’s student must have completed a bachelor’s degree before the beginning of the semester or term in which the graduate assistantship begins. A doctoral student must have completed a master’s degree before the beginning of the semester or term in which the doctoral assistantship begins.

Official transcripts must be on file in the Graduate School.

Also, you must maintain a minimum cumulative graduate grade point average (3.0 for master’s level or 3.2 for doctoral and specialist level) to continue in the assistantship.

You must have the status of "regular" admission.

You cannot hold an assistantship as a probationary or conditional student.

Available graduate assistantships can be outside your academic department.

Openings are posted on the Graduate School Facebook page and the Career Center website. They are updated frequently throughout the year.

You should also check with your department for available positions.

Before you can begin work or get paid, you must sign your contract.

If you hold an assistantship during the summer term, you will need to sign a separate contract from the one you signed for the academic year.

The federal government requires that we verify employment eligibility within three working days. You will be asked to bring acceptable documentation in original form.

Your supervisor will determine the duties of your assistantship. You must work 20 hours per week for a full-time contract or 10 hours for a part-time contract (including finals week). Your schedule will be arranged with your department.

A portion of tuition and nonresident fees (if applicable) of regular graduate assistants is covered by the fee remission as part of the assistantship – provided the student is on contract and working by the last day of the university drop/add period.

Students must register for a minimum number of credit hours. For specifics, check the guidelines for graduate assistants.

Also, be aware that once you work for two consecutive semesters as a graduate assistant, you are eligible for tuition remission for the third term. For example, if you hold an assistantship for the academic year (fall and spring semesters), you are eligible for tuition remission for the summer term.

Full-time graduate and doctoral assistants are responsible for the following each semester or term:

  • a portion of tuition
  • technology fee
  • recreation fee
  • health fee
  • course fee
  • lab fee
  • program fee
  • other special fees required by Ball State

Half-time graduate and doctoral assistants receive fee remission of 55 percent of basic tuition and 55 percent of nonresident fees (if applicable). You are responsible for paying the following each semester or term:

  • 45 percent of basic tuition
  • 45 percent of nonresident fees (if applicable)
  • student services fee
  • graduate fee
  • health fee
  • course fee
  • lab fee
  • program fee
  • other special fees required by Ball State

Deductions are made for the Indiana state income tax, the county option income tax (when applicable), and the federal income tax. Graduate assistants are exempt from FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes.

If a student is approved for additional employment at Ball State on student wage pay, the student can work up to and including nine hours per week without being assessed these taxes.

Graduate assistants who are approved for additional employment at the professional level, such as to teach a class, are no longer exempt from FICA taxes. Students who accept this type of extra work are reclassified and transferred to the faculty payroll, and their full wages (including the assistantship stipend) are subject to FICA taxes.

You are not required to work during holidays and vacation times observed by the university.

You are also not responsible for working more than 20 hours per week for a full-time contract and 10 hours per week for a half-time contract.

If you are asked to work more than 20 hours, you should discuss the limits of your contractual agreement with your supervisor. 


Do you have any questions or concerns regarding your graduate assistantship?

Contact the Graduate School

All payroll is direct deposit.

Bank account and tax forms must be submitted to the Office of Payroll and Employee Benefits upon signing the contract.

The stipend is divided equally for the duration of the contract and payable every two weeks, according to the university pay schedule.


Before making any changes to your class schedule, contact the Director, Office of Retention and Graduation, Student Center L-20, 765-285-3312, to discuss the options available to you. Should you find it necessary to withdraw from all classes, the Retention and Graduation office will help with the paperwork and explain the policies regarding the withdrawal process. The earlier you contact the Retention and Graduation office, the more help it can provide.

Please note that students who withdraw may still be responsible for paying all or a portion of tuition and fees for the semester.


Yes. There is a minimum $25 fee, assessed per program. Learn more about graduation fees.