Angela Jackson-Brown Brown
Assistant Teaching Professor of English
Angela Jackson-Brown is a writer, poet and playwright. Her work has appeared in various literary journals and her debut novel, Drinking from a Bitter Cup, was published by WiDo Publishing in 2014. Angela’s short play, Flossie Bailey Takes was part of the Indiana’s Bicentennial Celebration at the Indiana Repertory Theatre in Indianapolis, IN in 2016 and also during that year, she wrote and directed her play, Anna’s Wings, during the 2016 DivaFest at the IndyFringe in Indianapolis, IN and her play It Is Well appeared at the IndyFringe and Muncie Civic Theatre. Recently the play she co-wrote with BSU graduate, Ashya Thomas, debuted at OnyxFest and the IndyFringe Festival in Indianapolis, IN. In 2018, her musical, Dear Bobby will be spotlighted at OnyxFest in Indianapolis. Learn more about Angela at her website and Jackson-Brown Entertainment.
Assistant Teaching Professor of English
M.F.A. in Creative Writing
Spalding University, 2009
M.A. in English
Auburn University, 1996
B.S. in Business Administration
Troy University, 1992
Research and Publications
- Drinking from a Bitter Cup. Wido Publishing. 2014. Print/Online.
- House Repairs. Negative Capability Press. Forthcoming in 2018.
- Angela Jackson-Brown on Maya Angelou: The Rainbow in my Cloud.” Literary Mothers. May 2015.
- “Cohabitating Couples.” Today’s Woman. Louisville, KY. November 2001. Print.
- Commissioned by Dunbar Library & History Center to write play about The Dunbar Library and the Monon 16 neighborhood of Indianapolis, IN. Forthcoming 2018.
- Wrote book and lyrics. Peter Davis wrote music. Dear Bobby: The Musical. Commissioned by the Kennedy King Memorial Initiative. Forthcoming March 2018.
- DirectedAnd How Does My Garden Grow. IndyFringe Theatre. June 2017
- DirectedThe Quilting. ONYXfest. IndyFringe Theatre. May 2016
- Co-wrote with Ashya Thomas Black Lives Matter (Too). Debuted at ONYXfest, May 2017 and IndyFringe Theatre, August 2017.
- Wrote and Directed It Is Well. IndyFringe Theatre, Indianapolis, IN & Muncie Civic Theatre. Fall 2016.
- Commissioned to write Flossie Bailey Takes a Stand. Indiana Repertory Theatre. Fall 2016.
- Wrote and Directed Anna’s Wings. DivaFest. Indyfringe Theatre. Indianapolis, IN. Spring 2016.
- Wrote Wade in the Water, Spring 2012. Public Reading held July 7, 2012 in Louisville, KY.
Poetry & Fiction in Anthologies
- “Brown Bodies Swaying.” Unnamed Moon Anthology. Negative Capability Press. Forthcoming.
- “Something in the Wash.” Belles' Letters: Contemporary Fiction by Alabama Women. Livingston Press. Fall 2017.
- “Vacation.” Not Like the Rest of Us: An Anthology of Contemporary Indiana Writers. 2016. Print
- “Anna’s Wings.” Indy Writes Books: A Book Lover’s Anthology. Indy Reads Books. 2014. Print
- “Verbal Jihad.” When Women Waken. Fall 2016.
- “The Situation is Stabilized.” When Women Waken. Fall 2016.
- “I Must Not Breathe.” When Women Waken. September 2015. Online.
- “Vacation” and "The Naked Truth." A Narrow Fellow: Journal of Poetry. April 2015. Print and Online. Forthcoming.
- "we cut" and "Yearning for a Savior." When Women Waken. Fall 2013. Online.
- "I Belong to Pan," "Real Talk About Back in the Day," and "Play Me One of Those Old School Joints: And I'll Be Yours Tonight." Identity Theory. Fall 2013. Online.
- “Bacchus, Are You There.” Toe Good Poetry. Fall 2013. Online.
- “Frigid,” “Bitch,” and “Dry Bones.” Uptown Mosaic Magazine. Summer 2012. Online.
- “Hush” and “I am not Your Corporate Mammy.” 94 Creations. Summer 2012. Print.
- “Country Folk” and “Naked Communion.” The 2009 Limestone Dust Poetry Festival Anthology. 2009. Print.
- “Locks” and “Where the Music At.” Pet Milk Literary Journal. 2009. Print.
- “The American Dream.” The Auburn Circle. Volume 24: 2. Spring 1997. Print.
- “Girl, Too.” Blue Lake Review. September 2012. Online.
- “Shhhhhh…Don’t Disturb the Crazy People. The Louisville Review. Fall 2011. Print and Online.
- “Serving Up Smiles.” Muscadine Lines: A Southern Journal. 2010. Online.
- “Something in the Wash.” New Southerner, Literary Edition. Swallow Tail Press, 2010. Print and Online.(Nominated for a PUSHCART PRIZE IN FICTION)
- “Still Climbin,” Literary Leo. LEO Magazine. 2000. Print.
Download CV (PDF)