About Kyle Heuett
Dr. Heuett is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Communication Studies. His general research and teaching interests are centered on Organizational Communication and Communication Research Methods. His research specifically focuses on decision-making processes in small groups and teams in the workplace. Specifically he is interested in how work groups generate ideas during brainstorming sessions that will later aid in the decision-making process. Dr. Heuett has also been working to better understand the long term effects of positive group and team participation within organizations. His research in this area is centered on testing relationships between positive group/team participation and member commitment to their organization.
Ph.D., University of Tennessee; Communication & Information
M.A., Southern Utah University; Professional Communication
B.S., Southern Utah University; Communication Studies
- Small Group Decision-Making
- Organizational Commitment
- Communication Research Methods
COMM 330 – Small Group Communication
COMM 340 – Leadership Communication
COMM 351 – Organizational Communication
COMM 465 – Communication Research Methods
COMM 690 – Special Topics in Group Communication (Graduate)
Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Faculty Recognition; Ball State Women's Soccer Team (2018)
- Distinguished Researcher; CCIM (2016)
- Outstanding Faculty Award; Department of Communication Studies (2016)
- Athletics Committee; Ball State University
- Sponsored Research Committee; Ball State University
- University Senate Representative; Comm. Studies
- Faculty Council Representative; Comm. Studies
- Lee, H. E., Westerman, C. Y. K., Hashi, E., Heuett, K. B., Spates, S. A., Reno, K. M., & Jenkins, E. W. (In Press). An experimental study of taboo topics on impression formation and task evaluation. Social Behavior and Personality.
- Westerman, C. Y. K., Reno, K. M., Heuett, K. B., Spates, S. A., & Westerman, D. K. (2019). Sender preferences for feedback delivery: Channels, privacy, and synchronicity. Communication Research Reports.
- Heuett, K. B. (2018). NBC’s “The Office” and working with new employees: A lesson in organizational socialization. In J. S. Seiter, J. Peeples & M. L. Sanders (Eds.), Communication in the Classroom: A Collection of G.I.F.T.S. (pp. 275-278). Boston, MA: Bedford/St. Martin's.
- Westerman, C. Y. K., Reno, K. M., & Heuett, K. B. (2018). Delivering feedback: Supervisors’ source credibility and communication competence. International Journal of Business Communication.
- Denker, K. J., Manning J., Heuett, K. B., & Summers, M. E. (2018). Twitter in the classroom: Modeling online communication attitudes and student motivations to connect. Computers in Human Behavior, 79, 1-8.
- Heuett, K. B. (2017). Customer Service. In C. R. Scott, L. Lewis, J. Barker, J. Keyton, T. Kuhn, & P. Turner (Eds.), International Encyclopedia of Organizational Communication (pp. 618-623). Chichester, UK: Wiley Blackwell.
- Levine, K. J., Heuett, K. B., & Reno, K. M. (2017). Re-operationalizing established groups in brainstorming: Validating Osborn’s claims. Journal of Creative Behavior.