About Michael Bauer
The debate coach at Ball State since 1991 mainly instructing the introduction to argumentation and debate course. Outside of the University, I am an assistant coach for the boys and girls soccer teams at Delta High School. My desire for fishing often leads me to participate in walleye tournaments throughout the Midwest. I enjoy being outdoors either working or playing. As an educator I am passionate to instruct students to develop skills they will use in their daily and work lives. My teaching philosophy is based upon skill development and application. My satisfaction as an educator comes from seeing students realizes they can improve and succeed in and out of the class room.
M.A., University of Nebraska-Kearney
B.S., University of Nebraska-Kearney
- Forensic Program Resources
- Current Controversies in Argumentation
- Debate Practices
COMM 210 Fundamentals of Public Speaking
COMM 290 Intercultural Communication
COMM 220 Argumentation and Debate
COMM 325 Interviewing Communication
COMM 380 Practicum in Communication Studies
COMM 475 Methods of Directing Forensic Programs - Undergraduate
Awards and Honors
- Received President's Award for outstanding service to the National Educational Debate Association, 2009, 2017
- Outstanding Contribution to Argumentation and Forensics, Central States Communication Association Award. Award for lifetime contribution to argumentation and forensics division, 2010
- College Core Competency Award, Outstanding Teacher Award of the College of Communication, Information, and Media, Ball State University, 2010
- Centennial Scholar Award of the Eastern Communication Association, 2009
- Chair's Outstanding Teaching Award, Communication Studies, Department Ball State University, 2009
- Member Executive Council of the National Educational Debate Association, 2001-current
- Director of tabulations for the National Educational Debate Association National Tournament, 2000-current
- Chair, Argumentation and Forensics Committee on Scholarship for the Central States Communication Association, 1996-current
- Chair, Argumentation and Forensics Division for the Central States Communication Association, 2015-2016
Bauer, Michael H. and Young Kelly M., Fritch, John, "The State of Argumentation and Debate: Diversity, Diffusion, and Development‚" A Century Of Transformation, Studies in Honor of the 100th Anniversary of the Eastern Communication Association, pp. 185-204.
- Bauer, Michael, H., Now That's A Switch: Using The Emory Switch In Audience-Centered Debate. The Public Advocate, Spring 2008, p. 9-10.
- Bauer, Michael H. and Young Kelly M., Fritch, John, book chapter, "The State Of Argumentation And Debate: Diversity, Diffusion, And Development," From 20th Century Beginnings to 21st Century Advances: Developing and Evolving from a Century of Transformation (Studies in Honor of the 100th Anniversary of the Eastern Communication Association).