Professor of Biology
Idaho State University., D.A., 1989.
Drake University., M.A. 1984.
Drake University., B.A., 1982.
Honors and Experience
- Joined faculty at Ball State University. Fall 1988.
- Twenty-first Century Educational Innovator Award, Ball State Innovation Corporation. 2011.
- Office of Teaching and Learning Advancement Fellow. 2008 – 2009.
- National Association of Biology Teachers. Chair: Four-year College and University Section. 2008.
- Lawhead Teaching Award, Ball State University. 1996.
My area of research involves developing and evaluating effective pedagogy for students not majoring in the natural sciences. Much of this work involves the influence technology has on student attitudes toward biology, student engagement, and performance. Recent examples of topics my students and I have investigated include the use of interactive learning spaces for biology instruction, the effectiveness of hybrid course, the use of clickers combined with interactive case studies, and using multimodal tools to improve learning.
Funding for scholarship has been provided by the National Science Foundation, The American Association of College and Universities, The Indiana Partnership for Statewide Education, McGraw-Hill, and Ball State University.
- Glencoe Biology. Glencoe-McGraw-Hill Education. Co-author. © 2017, 2012, 2009, 2007
- Glencoe Biology Teachers Edition. Glencoe-McGraw-Hill Education. Co-author. © 2017, 2012, 2009, 2007
- Introduction to Biology. Vizi Courseware. © 2012.
In addition to textbooks, scholarship has been published in The American Biology Teacher; The Journal of College Science Teaching; Bioscene: The Journal of College Biology Teaching; Educational Technology Research and Development; Learning, Media and Technology; and The National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science.
Professional presentations have been at The National Association of Biology Teachers Conferences, The National Science Teachers Association Annual Conferences, European Science Education Research Association Conference, Science Education for New Civic Engagements and Responsibilities Institute, American Association for Health Education Conferences, Non-Majors Biology Leadership Conference, National Assessment Institute, and Indiana Academy of Science Meetings.
Membership in Professional Organizations
- National Association of Biology Teachers
- National Science Teachers Association
- Society for College Science Teaching
- Association of College and University Biology Educators