Are you interested in our master of fine arts in visual art program? Then it’s time to apply!
Please review our admission requirements, dates and deadlines, and instructions. Then complete our online application.
MFA in Animation Program Suspension
The MFA program in the School of Art is currently going through a period of growth and reorganization which has presented some challenges. Because of this, the Graduate Committee had to make a difficult decision and has decided to suspend admissions into the Animation MFA program until further notice. This will allow us to continue providing students with exceptional learning experiences and opportunities in our other MFA concentrations.
Dates and Deadlines
Application and materials are due on the specified dates by 11:59 p.m. Eastern time.
This program starts in the Fall semester.
You must apply by March 31 (or first business day after) to be considered for admission. This is a rolling deadline. Applicants that apply after this date may still be considered.
If you are interested in a graduate assistantship with the School of Art, your application must be completed by January 10 (or the first business day thereafter).
Before You Begin...
Ball State is authorized to accept online students from all U.S. states. However, certain states have regulations regarding licensing programs in nursing and education.
If you are an international student – someone who has or plans to acquire a visa to study in the U.S. – our International Admissions staff will help you through the admissions process and your unique requirements.
If you are a current, admitted Ball State student but have not taken classes for more than a year or if you received a "Re-Admit" error when attempting to register for classes, you need to select the:
“Re-enroll (previous Ball State graduate students only)” option under “Academic Intent” in the application.
Do not choose the Re-enroll Applicant Type if you are any of the following:
- a first-time applicant to a Ball State graduate program
- applying for a new or different program or certificate than one in which you are already enrolled
- previously applied for a program but never attended any classes
1. Review admission requirements and prepare materials.
Bachelor’s degree in art from an accredited college or university
You must have earned a minimum of a 2.75 GPA from the undergraduate degree-granting institution.
Our program does not require you to take the GRE.
You will need to upload the following materials to your online application:
- two letters of recommendation
- digital portfolio of artwork – present 10 to 15 examples of your work. (links to websites are acceptable)
- resume or CV
- letter of intent – express your goals in pursuing degree (if you are a new applicant and wish to be considered for an assistantship, be sure to indicate this in your letter)
2. Prepare your transcripts.
Ball State must receive transcripts for all applicants. Please review our instructions before you apply. (You do not need to submit Ball State transcripts in order to apply.)
Complete our online application.
Applications are $60 per program.
You can pay your application fees (nonrefundable) with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover. Or you may pay online with an electronic check from a U.S. bank.
You do not have to pay the application fee if you are a:
- McNair Scholar
- previous Ball State student (enrolled after high school)
- current Ball State employee (full-time, benefits-eligible)
- veteran or active-duty military
- guest student seeking credits to transfer to another institution
If you are in one of these categories, make sure to select the fee waiver option in the application.
After You Apply
Log in to your application status portal below to submit additional materials, check your application status, and confirm your enrollment.
Check Application Status
If you need additional assistance, please feel free to email our graduate admissions staff, who are here to help you through this process.