Dates and Deadlines
Application and materials are due on the specified dates by 11:59 p.m. Eastern time.
Submit your application by the following dates, depending on which semester you plan to start. The application and all required materials must be received by the deadline listed below.
Receipt of applications for admission and required materials after the deadline does not guarantee a review. International applicants must adhere to the requirements and deadlines outlined here.
Priority Deadline – February 15. Applicants who complete their application by the priority deadline date will be eligible for financial assistance consideration (i.e. graduate assistantships and scholarships). We will still accept applications after this date, but we cannot guarantee that financial assistance opportunities will be available.
Final Deadline –August 9, 2020 for Fall 2020 admission.
Final Deadline –December 27, 2020 for Spring 2021 admission.
Before You Begin...
If you are an international student – someone who has or plans to acquire a visa to study in the U.S. – our International Admissions staff will help you through the admissions process and your unique requirements.
If you are a current, admitted Ball State student but have not taken classes for more than a year or if you received a "Re-Admit" error when attempting to register for classes, you need to select the:
“Re-enroll (previous Ball State graduate students only)” option under “Academic Intent” in the application.
Do not choose the Re-enroll Applicant Type if you are any of the following:
- a first-time applicant to a Ball State graduate program
- applying for a new or different program or certificate than one in which you are already enrolled
- previously applied for a program but never attended any classes
1. Review admission requirements and prepare materials.
You must have earned a minimum of a 2.75 GPA from the undergraduate degree-granting institution.
Our program does not require you to take the GRE.
- statement of purpose – Why do you want to come to Ball State University to earn a master of science degree and enter the profession of historic preservation?
- writing sample from an academic course – This should be an example of your best work, and there are no specific length or subject requirements.
- three letters of recommendation – Please include the email addresses of three recommenders when you fill out the Graduate School application. Recommenders will be notified electronically to upload their letters of recommendation through the Graduate School application process.
2. Prepare your transcripts.
Ball State must receive transcripts for all applicants. Please review our instructions before you apply. (You do not need to submit Ball State transcripts in order to apply.)
Complete our online application.
Applications are $60 per program.
You can pay your application fee (nonrefundable) with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover. Or you may pay online with an electronic check from a U.S. bank.
You do not have to pay the application fee if you are a:
- McNair Scholar
- Ball State student currently enrolled in classes or alumni
- current Ball State employee (full-time, benefits-eligible)
- veteran or active-duty military
- guest student seeking credits to transfer to another institution
- prospective student who attended a Ball State graduate program information session
If you are in one of these categories, make sure to select the fee waiver option in the application. When selecting "I attended an informational session" option in the fee waiver section of the application, list the information session title and date.
After You Apply
Log in to your application status portal below to submit additional materials, check your application status, and confirm your enrollment.
Check Application Status
If you need additional assistance, please feel free to email our graduate admissions staff, who are here to help you through this process.