Ball State handles and oversees part of each permanent residency case for tenure-track faculty.

The Rinker Center for International Programs secures the PERM approval from the U.S. Department of Labor and files the I-140 (Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker) for the faculty member.

Once the I-140 has been filed, and the receipt has been received, the faculty member can either wait for the I-140 approval, or they can file the I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status) with the assistance of an immigration attorney.

The I-140 and the I-485 would both be pending at the same time.

Departments interested in sponsoring an international employee for permanent residency should contact the Rinker Center for International Programs for more specific information regarding this process.

Contact Us