The first greenhouse at (then) Ball State Teachers College was an 18x34 foot gothic style greenhouse purchased from the Kitselman Estate on University Avenue (now known as the Hazelwood Estate).  The greenhouse was moved to the southeast portion of Christy Woods to serve as the campus greenhouse in the early 1950’s.   A series of 3 extensions were added in 1965, 1966, and 1969.  Combined, this greenhouse had a total area of 3,000 square feet.  In the late 1980’s, Ball State University contracted with Rough Brothers, Inc., located in Cincinnati, Ohio, to design and build a replacement greenhouse to better meet the needs of botany classes and to address the lack of space for research.

In 1990, the Ball State Greenhouse was razed in, minus the 18x32ft addition from 1965.  The current Teaching and Research Greenhouse was constructed on the footprint of the old greenhouse and opened to the public in 1992.  The remaining portion of the old greenhouse (now called the Herb Greenhouse) is located on the east side of the Teaching and Research Greenhouse.  Together, these spaces are 4,830 square feet.

The Teaching and Research Greenhouse and Herb Greenhouse are managed using Integrated Pest Control methods.  We do not use insecticides in these growing spaces.  The Teaching Collection is maintained as a diverse teaching tool and is regarded highly for its educational value by other Universities.  The Herb Greenhouse is used to grow herbs for Ball State University’s dining services, providing local, fresh and organically grown herbs for our students, staff, faculty and visitors.

For more information on the Teaching and Research Greenhouse, please contact Shari Grant

First Teaching & Research Greenhouse, 1957Adding onto original Greenhouse, 1965