Independent Contractors

Independent Contractors (aka Consultants) are individuals, organizations, or businesses that provide a service, and who are not employees of the University.  

To engage and pay an Independent Contractor on your sponsored project, work with your Grant Manager.  

Independent Contractor Agreements are required only when the amount being paid for services is more than $1,001.

Amounts $1000 and under are paid via Direct Payment in SciQuest.  

Please note:  

External invited speakers are Independent Contractors.  

University employees, even when they are being paid extra compensation or performing duties outside of their job descriptions, are NOT Independent Contractors. 

Any person that has been paid as a University employee within the current calendar year must be paid through payroll and is NOT able to be considered an Independent Contractor.

Forms for working with Independent Contractors 

All Independent Contractors must use the invoice template when requesting payment. This template is available from your grant manager. 


Instructions for (Some) Independent Contractors: UEIs

Some Independent Contractors will be asked to provide a Unique Entity ID (UEI) if the funding source of the project involves federal dollars. Individuals will not be asked to provide a UEI; foundations, Non-profits, corporations, or other institutions will be asked to provide a UEI.

A UEI can be obtained for FREE by signing in to and selecting “Get Started,” then choosing “Get Unique Entity ID.” 

This guidance video clearly explains the process of how to get a UEI.


Instructions for (Some) Independent Contractors: Federal Funds

When the source of funds for the project is ultimately federal, Ball State's current business process is to include the document below as Exhibit C in the Independent Contractor Agreement Template.

Exhibit C

If you are unsure whether or not to include this, contact your grant manager.