Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) Student Training Program
Empowering the next generation of responsible researchers
What is the RCR Student Training Program?
The Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) Student Training Program provides participants the opportunity to learn the core values of research ethics from Ball State University Office of Research Integrity staff, faculty researchers, and other subject-area experts in a fun and interactive environment.
How do I sign up to receive more information about training and special events?
Registration for the RCR Student Training Program is closed for the 2023-2024 academic year. If you have any questions about the program or would like to be added to the outreach list for our next cohort, please email email@example.com.
How can the program benefit me?
- Participate in up to 10 learning modules meant to prepare you for a future as an ethical researcher.
- Learn from leaders in their research fields and the Office of Research Integrity (ORI) staff.
- Enjoy special learning events meant to make you consider real-world ethical conundrums in an interactive and fun environment.
- Network with other students and professionals who share a passion for research and ethics
- Build your resume by earning a Certificate of Completion from the ORI by participating in 7+ learning modules
Who is eligible to participate in the program?
All graduate and undergraduate students are invited to participate in the program in its entirety or attend any individual sessions or events that interest them.
Is anyone required to participate in the program?
Participation in the program is required for students receiving financial support from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) or National Science Foundation (NSF) when their projects meet either of the following criteria:
- An NSF-funded project with a proposal submitted on or after July 31, 2023
- An NSF or NIH-funded project beginning after September 1, 2021, and continuing after September 1, 2024
What will l learn in the training program?
Core concepts covered in the program include:
- Research Integrity
- Ethical Decision Making
- Responsible Data Management
- Ethical Human and Animal Subjects Research
- Responsible Publication Practices
Specific Program Topics
When will the training take place?
Training will begin in late September 2023 and conclude at the beginning of April 2024. Each of the ten training modules will be hosted approximately every three weeks throughout the academic year with special attention paid to school breaks, midterms, and final examinations.
How much time will I need to dedicate to the program?
Participants who choose or are required to participate in the program in its entirety can expect to spend approximately 15-20 hours on RCR training program activities over the course of the 2023-2024 academic year.