As a student, you can grant others permission to access certain information in Self Service Banner or to speak with specific departments. This is called granting “proxy access,” and you refer to the other person as your “proxy.”
Students commonly grant parents or spouses access to their personal information. Proxies access records through email, so you must know the email address of the person you wish to grant access. See our proxy FAQ
for more information.
How to Establish Proxy Access
- Log in to my.bsu using your Ball State username and password.
- Select “SSB – Self Service Banner.”
- Select the Proxy Access menu and select the link for “Proxy Management.”
- Read the text on the page and make sure that you understand the implications and responsibility of granting proxy access to your information.
- Select “Add Proxy.”
- Enter the first name, last name, and email address of the person you wish to grant proxy access.
- Confirm that you wish to add this person by selecting “Add Proxy” again.
- The person you just added will receive an email asking them to set up a PIN/password. You will also receive a copy of this email in your Ball State account.
Next, define what access the proxy will have:
- On the “Proxy Management” self-service page, select the line that says “Expand (Proxy Name).”
- Complete the “Profile” tab.
- You must select a relationship for this proxy. If you don’t, you will not be able to authorize any access for the proxy.
- Enter a description for the person’s relationship to you, such as “mom,” “wife,” or “employer.”
- Enter a passphrase for the person. This is a required field if you are going to allow the proxy to have verbal conversations with anyone at Ball State. Essentially, this is a password.
- Set the start and end dates for access.
- If you set a passphrase, select the “Email Passphrase” icon. This will send your proxy an email with their passphrase. They will need it for any assistance from the Technology HelpDesk or any department.
Finally, complete the “Authorization” tab:
- When you select the “Authorization” tab, you will see all the access that you can extend to your proxy. You can grant item-by-item access, or you can select the main check boxes next to the major categories to grant access to all items in each category. (For example, you can grant access to all “Financial Aid Access” items by selecting the check box next to “Financial Aid Access.”)
- After you have checked all the items your proxy should have access to, select the “Email Authorizations” icon to the right. This will generate an email to your proxy indicating what you have granted them access to.
How a Proxy Logs In
The following video explains the process for logging in as a proxy.