About Shane Lanning
Shane Lanning joined the Division of Online and Strategic Learning in January 2022. Their academic background includes an MA in Linguistics and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), which they earned at Ball State. They taught as an Instructor of ESL in the Intensive English Institute where they developed a passion for international students and internationalization efforts. Shane is passionate about education and looks forward to working with the Ball State community to support innovative teaching and learning.
- Instructional Consultant (2022 to Present). Division of Online and Strategic Learning, Ball State University
- Curriculum Specialist (2020 - 2021). Ball State University
- Academic Advisor (2019 - 2020). Ball State University
- International Program Coordinator (2017 - 2019). Ball State University
- Instructor of ESL (2015 - 2016) . The Intensive English Institute, Ball State University
- Graduate Assistant (2012 - 2015). The Intensive English Institute, Ball State University
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in English: Rhetoric and Composition (in progress)
Ball State University
Master of Arts (MA) in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages and Linguistics, 2015
Ball State University
Bachelor of Arts (BA) in English, 2012
The Ohio State University
Publications and Presentations
- Lanning, S., & Miller, A. (2021, October 21). "Considerations for international students" [Conference presentation]. Indiana Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, Virtual.
- Brunn, S., Hughes, K., & Lanning, S. (2020, October 1)."Creating inclusive practices for international students and scholars to enhance wellbeing" [Panel]. NAFSA Collegial Conversations, Virtual.
- Lanning, S. (2019, October 28). "Visibility and allyship in international student advising" [Conference presentation]. NAFSA Region VI Conference, Indianapolis, IN, United States.
- Alezetes, L., & Lanning, S. (2016, November 12). "When students don’t read: A grieving process" [Poster presentation]. Indiana TESOL, Indianapolis, IN, United States.
- Lanning, S. (2018). "Advising LGBTQ international students: Are we doing enough?" NAFSA Rainbow SIG Newsletter, 24(4), 2-3.
- Lanning, S. (2015, April 2). "A gay/straight comparison of gay voices" [Conference presentation]. Queer Studies Conference, Asheville, NC, United States.
- Lanning, S. (2015, March 22). "Gay humor in American and British English: A Gricean approach" [Conference presentation]. American Association of Applied Linguistics & the Canadian Association of Applied Linguistics/L'Association canadienne de linguistique appliquée joint conference, Toronto, ON, Canada.
- Han, S., Lanning, S., McAlister, T., & Tran, P. (2014, November 15). "Teaching considerations for non-lexicalized L2 words" [Conference presentation]. Indiana TESOL, Indianapolis, IN, United States.
- Altahi, H., Han, S., Lanning, S., McAlister, T., & Tran, P. (2014, October 23). "Acquiring non-lexicalized L2 words: Strategy and task type" [Conference presentation]. Second Language Research Forum, Columbia, SC, United States.