Immersive Learning Student Advisory Board
The primary role of the Immersive Learning Student Advisory Board is to bring a student perspective to Ball State’s immersive learning priorities, events and initiatives. Board members liaise with students from their college and serve as a standing focus group that provides suggestions, ideas, information and concerns related to immersive learning programs. Members will also serve as student ambassadors at university-wide events, including showcases and awards programs sponsored by the Office of Immersive Learning.
This diverse group of representatives is led by a volunteer chair who will assist the Office of Immersive Learning in scheduling meetings, developing agendas and leading discussions. The Immersive Learning advisory board serves to offer recommendations and is not a governing (decision-making) board.
Immersive Learning Student Advisory Board responsibilities fall into three categories of activity:
1. Serve as a student leader that assists in advancing the mission of Immersive Learning at Ball State:
- Represent the views, opinions, and concerns of the student body.
- Give feedback on proposed policies and procedures related to student participation.
- Provide feedback on ways to increase diversity and inclusion in immersive learning offerings.
- May serve as a student representative on additional committees including (but not limited to) the Provost Immersive Learning Grant review committee.
2. Serve as an immersive learning resource for students in your college.
- Engage in peer conversations on how to improve immersive learning programming on campus.
- Help promote immersive learning opportunities to other students.
- Answer student questions at immersive learning events.
3. Share knowledge of immersive learning with various audiences and stakeholders.
- Attend immersive learning events such as the Immersive Learning Showcase, Faculty Awards receptions or faculty trainings.
- Represent immersive learning during Preview Day events.
- Respond to media requests or find students in your college who will share their story
To remain on the board, students must:
- Maintain at least a 3.0 GPA during appointment and remain in good standing with the university.
- Attend two, 1.5 hour board meetings each semester.
- Serve as an immersive learning ambassador for at least one Immersive Learning event each semester. A list of events will be made available at the beginning of the academic year.
- Make themselves available to listen to student views and concerns.
- Actively participate on the board as a student representative.
Student advisory board members are selected from a pool of nominations put forth by various campus units. Self-nominations are also accepted. Top candidates may be interviewed as a part of the selection process.
Click here to see the Immersive Learning Student Advisory Board Nomination Form.
Two representatives will be chosen from each college and will serve up to two-year terms. Students will receive an evaluation letter at the end of year one documenting their participation. Terms will be staggered so the first students selected will be assigned one or two year terms based on the student’s availability, projected graduation date, and other factors that will be discussed with appointees. Past experience with immersive learning projects is required along with a student transcript. To get a transcript, you can request a hard copy that can then be scanned. For more information, visit here. You can also get an unofficial transcript through degree works or a sponsoring faculty member can print one off for you. The nomination process for the 2020-21 Academic Year is as follows:
Nomination Deadline: February 3, 2020
Official Notifications to Students: March 2, 2020
Term of Appointment Begins: Fall Semester 2020
To submit a nomination, fill out the online submission form.