The Office of the Dean of Students will provide appropriate information and referrals to students facing basic needs insecurity during COVID-19. To assist students, faculty, and staff during this time we have created a resource list. Please note this list may be subject to change as COVID-19 remains a developing situation. For continuously updated information on the University’s response to COVID-19 please visit


Cardinal Kitchen is open for the Spring 2021 semester. We have included below information on resources available in the community. We advise that students please call each location in advance to confirm hours of operation.

Additionally, students who may experience a significant change in their financial stability (loss of wages, for example), may now be eligible for the Supplemental Assistance Program (SNAP) and other assistance. To apply for SNAP and cash assistance students can apply through the Indiana Family and Social Services Administration portal.


The President of the United States announced on March 18 that the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) suspend all foreclosures and evictions. On March 19, 2020 Governor Holcomb issued a temporary prohibition on evictions and foreclosures (PDF) as a result of COVID-19 for the state of Indiana. This order does not relieve individuals of their obligations to pay rent or mortgages but prevents people from being displaced from their homes during this crisis. Learn more about this resource.

Students facing challenges with property owners and/or leases during this time can consult with the Student Legal Services. Student Legal Services can be reached at 765-285-1888.

For students who have difficulty paying for rent or utilities during this time the university has available a Student Emergency Loan Program through the Office of Retention and Graduation. Emergencies are considered circumstances beyond a student's control such as an accident, loss of income, or illness. All other sources of funding must be exhausted, including options available from the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships and assistance from family members. Students should visit the Student Emergency Aid website or call the Office of Retention and Graduation at 765-285-3312 to learn about eligibility. Students who are unable to meet immediate, essential expenses such as food, educational and living expenses as a result of COVID-19 may be eligible to apply for a one-time Jack Beyerl Emergency Aid Grant.

For those who may be worried about physical distancing in a home where they do not feel safe, help is available through community and national resources:

  • A Better Way, which provides safe shelter 24/7 to victims of domestic violence/sexual assault and their children. They can be reached at their 24-Hour Crisis Line (765) 288 – Help.
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline is available 24/7/365 at @ndvh by chat or by calling their hotline at 1-800-799-7233.

Financial Aid and Assistance 

Students should contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at 765-285-5600 to explore and exhaust state and federal financial aid options available to them. We have provided additional resources and helpful information for students below: 

Health Care 

Students are able to seek ambulatory health care at the Student Health Center. We recommend students call 765-285-8431 to schedule an appointment. The Counseling Center continues to provide clinical and outreach services online through the remainder of the academic year. The Counseling Center can be reached at 765-285-1736.

Students who are uninsured and seeking health care providers external to the Student Health Center and Counseling Center may seek information about their eligibility for Medicaid through

Open Door Health Services in the Muncie community is a non-for profit Federally Qualified Health Center providing comprehensive, primary, and preventative healthcare services to individuals and families throughout East Central Indiana regardless of health insurance status. For uninsured students, this is a helpful community resource. 

Additional Resources

The Governor’s Workforce Cabinet has created a resource website, Your Next Step: Indiana’s Hub for Rapid Recovery, to assist Hoosiers in finding a job, learning new skills, furthering their education, or securing emergency aid.

This hub provides information to:

  • receive help with unemployment insurance
  • access healthcare
  • find childcare
  • secure food assistance
  • explore housing support

The above resources were developed using the Hope Center's Beyond the Food Pantry: Supporting #RealCollege Students During COVID-19.