The Disability Services Office (DS) does not provide psycho-educational testing for students with disabilities. Below is information on how to get tested if you think you might have a disability. 

Questions and Answers
Before you decide to be evaluated for a learning disability, ADHD, or a psychiatric disability, there are a few questions you should consider:

1. Why do you think you have a learning disability, ADHD, or a psychiatric disability?
2. Have you noticed particular learning difficulties or difficulty paying attention? When did your difficulties start?                                                                                                                                                 3. Did someone refer you to DS for testing? You will want to know what troubles you are having academically and be able to explain them to the person who evaluates you.
4. Did you qualify for or receive special education services while in high school, or prior to attending Ball State? If you received accommodations for a disability in high school, it is likely you were evaluated for a disability. It is wise to check with your high school or your family members to see if there is an evaluation report of a disability on file for you somewhere. This can save you time and money. However, simply being evaluated for a disability in high school will not necessarily make you eligible for disability services in college.

Your documentation must meet the following criteria:

  • clearly state the diagnosed disability or disabilities
  • describe the functional limitations resulting from the disability or disabilities
  • be age-appropriate--describing how the disability or disabilities currently affect the student in an educational setting
  • describe the specific accommodations requested
  • adequately support each of the requested accommodations
  • be typed or printed on official letterhead and be signed by an evaluator qualified to make the diagnosis (include information about license or certification and area of specialization).

You and the professional doing the testing should refer to the nationally developed guidelines relative to learning disability, ADHD, and psychiatric disability testing. See our documentation guidelines.

If your evaluation report does not meet all of these criteria, it may be necessary for you to obtain another evaluation. It is a good idea to sit down with DS staff to discuss your documentation and your options for being retested.

Options for Testing  

Private Psychologist: This is often the quickest option. A resource to aid in locating private testing services is the yellow pages. Information can be found under “psychologist.” This type of testing may be covered under some insurance policies, so be sure to examine specific policies or contact your insurance agent and/or your medical doctor for a referral. DS can make referrals to local psychologists who are experienced with testing college-age students.

Psychoeducational, Diagnostic, and Intervention Clinic (Teachers College, 765-285-8526). This clinic can administer evaluations as part of its training program. There will be a fee based on a sliding scale. Contact the clinic for more information.

Indiana Vocational Rehabilitation Services (VR): This agency has offices throughout the state and serves persons with disabilities. If you suspect you have a disability, check with a VR office for an assessment of your eligibility for services. Their evaluations of your eligibility for client services are free, but scheduling may be difficult. (DS has a list of VR locations.)

Things to keep in mind when deciding on a testing option:

  • Will your insurance (or your parents’ insurance) pay for this?
  • Have you compared costs of psychologists in the area?
  • Have you checked to see if there is any previous record of a disability on file?
  • Do you need a medical referral for testing?
  • Are adult measures being used in your evaluation?
  • Did you bring Ball State’s documentation guidelines with you to the testing center?