Physics Teacher Education Coalition, or PhysTEC, is a program to improve the science preparation of future kindergarten through 12th grade teachers.
PhysTEC emphasizes a student-centered, inquiry based, hands-on approach to learning science. So in other words, it’s all about you, and we encourage you to ask questions and get into the thick of things.
We work with pre-service teachers to improve conceptual knowledge of physics through classes taught with an inquiry based approach. New in-service teachers gain an opportunity to be mentored by a master teacher.
This goal of the project is to produce more and better prepared science teachers, mentor recent graduates, and have a collaboration between the physics and education departments.
Still wondering what’s in it for you? Well, here are a few things PhysTEC can offer you:
- knowledge about your choices
- a high school teacher on campus to answer your questions and give sound advice
- a certification that makes you more marketable
- methodology in student-centered, inquiry-based and hands-on science
- on campus events to improve science knowledge
- mentoring of new teachers by a high school teacher in-residence
Learn more about our physics education program.